66 big twin 40 hp

CLARKIE76

Recruit
I am new to boats,outboards, so heres my dilemma i bought a 79 sea-nymph that was originally set up for a merc. All of the merc controls are still on the boat. But the previous owner bought this 40 hp big twin and never tested it,or set it up.the motor has good compression and spark. I need any help i can get with this motor, i have a wiring diagram but dont know where to start, do i try and start the motor without hooking all of the wiring up? Or do i get evinrude controls and wiring? I believe i need a steering bracket but cant seem to find one anywhere. Im trying to research all i can but i am wondering where to start.

Willyclay

Captain
Re: 66 big twin 40 hp

Welcome to the iboats.com forum! The members here are great and can help you with any problem involving your boat, motor and trailer. Any chance the PO needs the Mercury controls and you can swap for OMC-type? You should be able to manually start that motor without hooking everything up to check it out in a trashcan full of water or with a hose adapter. Hopefully, one of the forum experts, which I am not, will post and keep us both straight. The steering bracket required will depend on which kind of steering system you have: older-style cable&pulleys or newer-style push&pull cable. Pictures are very helpful. Good luck with that great old motor; boat also!

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: 66 big twin 40 hp

Yep, you will need OMC controls...the Merc controls and wiring won't work with the 40 hp.