Time to pile on- anchor winches

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'm tired of pulling up a 22 lb anchor a dozen times a night so I've been having thoughts of buying an anchor winch. My boat's anchor locker isn't big enough for a true windlass and the deck mount jobs are $500. I'm looking at the drum-style winches. Howvever, after looking online and seeing all the glowing reviews of these things I'm very gunshy. Seems no one makes a decent unit. Has anyone had/run/broken one of these things?
I have a mount on my boat for my TM and will use another bracket similar to mount the anchor winch so I can take it off when it isn't needed. That's another reason for the drum-style versus a permanently mounted piece.

Any thoughts? Or should I just buy a good pair of gloves?

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: Time to pile on- anchor winches

I use a small light weight for things like your doing. For overnight the CQR goes down with chain.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a Lewmar drum style anchor winch,had it for 6 years,saltwater use, works like a charm , you get what you pay for.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I use a windlass for my 22 lb anchor. If I had to haul it by hand, I'd have a smaller anchor. 22lbs is a pretty big anchor. What size boat are you using it on? Any chance you could swap it for a lighter model? Fortress comes to mind for great holding power vs light weight.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I use a windlass for my 22 lb anchor. If I had to haul it by hand, I'd have a smaller anchor. 22lbs is a pretty big anchor. What size boat are you using it on? Any chance you could swap it for a lighter model? Fortress comes to mind for great holding power vs light weight.

My question, too. 22 lbs. is a lot of anchor. A boat needing an anchor that heavy should have enough of an anchor locker to fit whatever type of winch you'd want. My Four Winns has a vertical windlass. The bulk of it is mounted under the foredeck, in the anchor locker.