Mercruiser 165 IL 6 - outdrive

popey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi there,

My outdrive is being serviced! The impeller is being changed, since it is broken.The boat was built in 1979 and I have no idea, what has beend replaced the last few years. It is runnig smoothly, but the thing are getting older...

What would you suggest doing, once the outdrive is off and take the opportunity of it. What would you expect this to cost (the parts?)

The mechanic I have said to me if I was changing the rubber tubes I also need to replace the steering issue and the one for the gears. I didn't understand why. Maybe you have an answer.

Thanks a lot!

best regards,

popey

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercruiser 165 IL 6 - outdrive

I would change the gimbal bearing and bellows just for peace of mind. I do not have any information on your steering or gears. If it did not have a steering issue I do not understand. Have him explain why it should be changed. Edit just for you Don

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I would change the gimbal and bellows
What's a "gimbal" ?
I know what a gimbal housing is, and a gimbal ring, and a gimbal bearing. But not a Gimbal.

The ujoint bellows, shift cable bellows if over 5 years old should be replaced. Most important while the drive is off CHECK THE ALIGNMENT and grease the splines going into the coupler.
Front mounts can come loose, rear mounts can fail, rotten wood can let the engine sag, things like that will take out your engine coupler. They are expensive and you have to pull the engine to replace.

popey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you very much!