Portable SIB livewell ideas

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been looking into a SIB for fishing lakes and ponds with remote access or no boat ramps. Been thinking about fishability and livewells. A molded livewell like the toho-rig wouldn't be practical or very portable, or maybe it would, with launching wheels. It would be possible the make a livewell influenced by those stowable backyard pools, but i would worry about water splashing out and material being punctured by fish spines.

surfga

Cadet
Re: Portable SIB livewell ideas

I've been looking into a SIB for fishing lakes and ponds with remote access or no boat ramps. Been thinking about fishability and livewells. A molded livewell like the toho-rig wouldn't be practical or very portable, or maybe it would, with launching wheels. It would be possible the make a livewell influenced by those stowable backyard pools, but i would worry about water splashing out and material being punctured by fish spines.

I use the cheapest and simplest set-up, but it works fine for me. I have:

5 gallon bucket
lid (from home depot, $3) has rubber O-ring, fits snug and doesn't splash
Cheapo Aerator from Bass Pro $8

I drilled a hole in the lid to run the aerator tube. I drilled two tiny holes in the upper side of the bucket and ran a zip tie through it. The aerator hangs from its clip on the zip tie.

I've kept bait and small fish alive for days in this set-up. Easy peasy.