Repairing gas sensor / cables / vent gas hose

minj

Seaman Apprentice
Hello!
I have 2 questions :)

I had an issue where my fuel gauge was showing empty and I think I’ve isolated the problem to the cables. I will be replacing them but I noticed that in the bolts/screws and around stuff there it’s messy and it looks like to be grease or a gel of some sort, maybe to preserve the screws and not rust?

Am I correct? If I want to clean that stuff, can I buy a new product to put on everything there?

Finally, I noticed that the vent fuel line hose appears to be cracked/teared. Not sure if this is affecting anything but maybe I should be replacing it and was wondering what type of hose I should get and the size of that is usually standard.

Thanks in advance for all the help

Attachments

• IMG_1038.png
    IMG_1038.png
    6.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1037.png
    IMG_1037.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1036.png
    IMG_1036.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 11

todhunter

Canoeist
Use USCG Type A1-15 hose. Trident #365 is a good choice for vent line. My boat uses 5/8".

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Usually when fuel tanks are that rusty/corroded, they are at the end of their lives. Your tank looks to be aluminum. Saltwater + time will rot them out.

If it were me, I would pull the tank out, clean it up and see if it is still sound.

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
To the OP, watch one of those videos where boats suddenly go boom due to fuel vapors. Then determine if you want to risk keeping tank in place without cleaning, inspection, and pressure test based on those photos.

Some may differ, that tank looks at end of life based on the amount of corrosive build up and junk covering it.

Pin hole leaks can fill your boat's bilge with dangerous gas fumes that could be ignited.

cyclops222

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Looks like a saltwater boat that was sunk & never hosed down at all.
The fuel tank is a REAL risk. Depending on when it sank. The split open vent line may have allowed salt water into the tank. Would be very bad.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Looks like you have some serious problems going on there. The hoses and wiring appear to be compromised rom fuel and water. Is the tank accessible to pullout like said above?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
79503-7a3f20c67a22d7a0f8549421c67d1d6e.jpg