Need help with my situation

Jhayes780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay so boat was in storage while I was deployed. It’s an outdoor lot

I’m in CA

I get back and I notice some oil had leaked onto the concreate and now they’re saying I need to pay for the clean up. Does anyone know around about how much that would cost?

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know the cost but it might be a BS CA cost. I would tell them I would come out with all the rags, dry sweep, and cleaner and they can advise if that is good

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Can of ether and some Scott blue shop rags

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
My cleanup method would cause more pollution than the oil.

Maybe present them with a bill for their freedom, and the cost of the lives lost to preserve it.

And, last but not least, ask them where they listed this cost in the storage contract.

Good luck, and thanks for your service.

stresspoint

Ensign

Maybe present them with a bill for their freedom, and the cost of the lives lost to preserve it.

And, last but not least, ask them where they listed this cost in the storage contract.

ha ha ! chuck some petrol on the spot dilute it down a bit . chuck a bit more petrol on and set it on fire ,clean up done (y).

RMClark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

To the OP: Yes, thanks for your service.

It's probably a standard storage facility contract with a clause that says the spot must be cleaned to the same condition as when the OP moved into it. Could be they're fine with the OP coming back with some oil dry, and getting the spot up. They might also be hoping for an easy extraction of a couple hundred $$, and then they'll just rent the space to another guy without cleaning that spot. I know it's a shock, but there might be a few less-than-upright storage lot operators.

I've had a few storage contracts. Some just wanted the storage place swept, and others outlined a specific cleaning charge. If the OP's contract has that "feature", he might be on the hook.

Be prepared to complain to the appropriate consumer agency. I hear Cali has plenty of those.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Educated people who sit at desks make up regulations.----You spill a bit of oil and a swat team of clean people come and jump all over it.------Yet they will dump truck loads of tar in front of your house and call it ---PAVEMENT---and it is not a spill in their eyes !!!!!!

Jhayes780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Perfect ya I was looking for something agreed upon
A picture of the area would help
ya it was like a small water/oil puddle. Nothing big. I cleaned it up with the kitty litter but they are ****** (family site - watch the language) and still want to do the EPA thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jhayes780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
To the OP: Yes, thanks for your service.

It's probably a standard storage facility contract with a clause that says the spot must be cleaned to the same condition as when the OP moved into it. Could be they're fine with the OP coming back with some oil dry, and getting the spot up. They might also be hoping for an easy extraction of a couple hundred $$, and then they'll just rent the space to another guy without cleaning that spot. I know it's a shock, but there might be a few less-than-upright storage lot operators.

I've had a few storage contracts. Some just wanted the storage place swept, and others outlined a specific cleaning charge. If the OP's contract has that "feature", he might be on the hook.

Be prepared to complain to the appropriate consumer agency. I hear Cali has plenty of those.
Ya I’m going to fight it because I did clean it but then it was a “environmental” issue so they still are calling someone idk

southkogs

Staff member
The storage lot was off base, then? Private business?

I'm wondering if you have some type of advocacy on-base that could help you push back because you were deployed under orders?

Thank you for your service.

Jhayes780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The storage lot was off base, then? Private business?

I'm wondering if you have some type of advocacy on-base that could help you push back because you were deployed under orders?

Thank you for your service.
Unfortunately it was on base. I do have the ability to get jag involved pending it’s too expensive

silverbul

Petty Officer 1st Class
Perfect ya I was looking for something agreed upon

ya it was like a small water/oil puddle. Nothing big. I cleaned it up with the kitty litter but they are ****** (family site - watch the language) and still want to do the EPA thing.
take pics asap, i assume you dont have before pics but i would take pics of the cleanup, in case the askmoles try to do something after the fact to try to milk it. just saying.

southkogs

Staff member
Unfortunately it was on base. I do have the ability to get jag involved pending it’s too expensive
JAG seems more than necessary: I've had to work with range ops one time over something simliar (I'm not in service), and the Sgt Maj I was working with was being kind of a stickler. The OIC however, was cool when we showed him a mitigation plan (that wasn't hard to pull off).

Maybe someone who can help you give a cleanup plan to the OIC?

silverbul

Petty Officer 1st Class
Or maybe somebody in politics can say, thank you for your service, we will help you, good luck finding one. jmo

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Do you have insurance on the boat? Standard marine insurance has a spill endorsement that covers a little over a million dollars. Just call an EPA approved contractor and let him bill the insurance company.