FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I got the drive back together last night and the seal replacement and in the upper and new O ring in the lower was successful! It held 10 psi for over 6 minutes, and I should have it back on the boat later this afternoon.
I like 10 psi better than the 17 listed in one of the manuals I found. It won’t build any psi right now with the missing O ring, but that’s good advice.
Well the pressure test was successful. I Found a major leak and a missing O Ring below the water pump. I don’t remember replacing the carrier with the oil seals in it below the water pump, but I guess I did. It looks brand new and seems to be missing an O ring.
I haven’t pressure tested it yet, but it’s next on the list now. What will I be looking for on a pressure test and a suspected leak in the lower? I won’t be able to see the seals under or around the water pump, unless there’s some type of plug for the quad seal and you can test the lower unit...
When I did my water pump, I replaced parts 23 and up, I suppose it could be the lower seals #19 allowing oil up into the water pump housing. Like I said above though, it didn’t make sense that that the entire system had oil in it to the point where the reservoir was 1/4 full before it started to...
So I found that the lower seal in the gear case was bad and I got my drive back together with the new seals. I filled the oil from the bottom until it came out the vent, put the plug in the vent, and when the reservoir was about 1/4 full I had oil start leaking from the bottom of the water...
Thanks guys, I should be working on this tonight. I built the stand for the drive unit yesterday and have a much better idea of what I am working with now.
Thanks! Sounds like I will be pulling the entire unit this evening/tomorrow. I have not removed the entire outdrive before, so I am not sure what seals I will need before I can reinstall. Are any of the seals able to be reused where it meets the transom, or should those be replaced each time...
I have this exact same issue on mine. I did not disconnect the speedometer hose quick connect when I removed my lower unit, and now my drive oil continuously leaks. I wonder if I tore/split the hose inside the bellows, or if I have another separate issue as it appears here. Same symptom...
I have a 1995 Rinker Captiva 190 we purchased from a family friend last summer. I winterized the boat in the fall and am just now going through and doing various maintenance items. I replaced the water pump in the lower unit, and while removing it I broke the clip on the speedometer fitting...