FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
Re: Flooding thru transom when in reverse
I think it's done! Haven't splashed it yet... it's been raining for a month... soon though.
I got a scare when I turned the key for the first time... nothing... turned out that I had somehow knocked the neutral switch wire off of the shifter...
Re: Flooding thru transom when in reverse
LOL... now I know why boats are named "His Mistress" and such... I'm sure I've spent more time sitting in this boat in my garage this winter than I will in the next 5 years on the lake... but it's better than watching TV...
The floors are back...
Hey all,
Just bought this boat last fall... it's been a big project, new transom & floors, etc... reassembling now.
I had noticed that the boat was louder than I expected when it was in the water... Now that I'm looking at the parts I can see that some of the exhaust is allowed to escape...
Re: Flooding thru transom when in reverse
Well... Progress!
I took a bit of a break for the holidays...
I had left a few inches of the floor boards in so that I would know the original level of the floors... I made templates for the bulkheads and put them in place with temporary support...
Re: Flooding thru transom when in reverse
It looks like the stringers and bulkheads were slotted together... stringers high, bulkheads low... I'll re-make them as they were originally done.
I cut it all out today... I am in the granite-countertop biz and I'd highly recommend the tool we...
Re: Flooding thru transom when in reverse
Just finished stripping most of the foam... nasty job! garden shovel, then chisels and scrapers.... The foam wasn't as wet as I had worried, but it was definitely soaked down low along the stringers. I was amazed that there was no glass on the...
Re: Flooding thru transom when in reverse
I took a picture of my almost-perfect boat....
And then I took the carpet up, cut out the floor... and took a few more of the carnage beneath. I love carpet!!!
It looks like everything forward of the middle of the fuel tank is pretty bad. They...
Re: Flooding thru transom when in reverse
I made sure that the new transom was exactly the same thickness as the "good" parts of the old one... 2 1/16 everywhere. Everything appears to be nice & flat and true.
I need to drill out the mounting holes... I plan to make a jig to be sure that...
Re: Flooding thru transom when in reverse
Well, here it is... new transom... 3/4 marine ply, with a thicker section laminated on with titebond III. The thicknesses and shape match the original transom except that it was OSB with a ply overlay on the thicker part. I have put 2 coats of epoxy...
Re: Flooding thru transom when in reverse
ok.... The transom came out with only a putty knife... I made a template of the old one before I crumbled it. It consisted of one piece of 3/4" OSB with another piece of 3/4" plywood (approx 2' x 2') in the center.
I plan to buy a sheet of Marine...
I pulled the drain plug and said... "this is not good"...
If there is a leak, I think that it is at the shift linkage... there is a bit of oil coming out, so I assume that water gets in sometimes...
How do I chase a water leak? can I put compressed air into the housing and watch for...
Re: Flooding thru transom when in reverse
Well, here a couple of pics showing chunks of transom I removed by blowing on it lightly. ;-)
There seems to be a oval section extending 4" left and right of the 3/4 marine plywood at the center of the outdrive... the top and (surprisingly) the bottom...
Hi all,
My fuel gauge reads E all of the time... previous owner told me that the tank sender has been tested and working.
so...
Should I believe him? is there an easy way to check? I have Ohmmeter, but don't know what to look for...
Can I buy a gauge like Iboats part# 13001 and simply...
I have a 96 volvo Penta 3.0 with an SX-C1 outdrive on a Larson Bowrider... I was recently towing another boat in reverse (unusual situation)... and after 4 minutes I was ankle deep in water.
the boat has been on a mooring for years without an automatic bilge pump and is quite dry otherwise...