FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
Still working on my idle issues and still believe there is an issue with the carbs but wanted to go through some basic tuning. Bought a service manual to help me troubleshoot from square one. I reset all the carb linkages by the book and it certainly helped. But then I went to set the low...
After all the struggles with my 1977 55hp Johnson, all my troubleshooting still points back to carb damage from whomever tried to rebuild it before I owned it. The secondary issue could very well be deteriorated hoses. I cannot find replacement carbs for this with the fixed idle orifice, so I...
I’ve previously posted about the issues I was having with poor idle performance for trolling. My ’77 55hp Johnson ran super smooth at 1000+ rpm, but had the hippy hippy shakes increasingly worse as I slowed below 1000 rpm.
I was running 89 octane non-ethanol mogas mixed 50:1 with std evinrude...
Trying to find other alternatives to Champion's L77JC4. I can find the same standard plug style, but not in any improved electrode design or how to determine different heat ranges. Reading some of the archives here on this forum, it might be advantageous to use a hotter plug for trolling.
I have a 77 Johnson 55hp (55EL77D). The boat is new to me and the motor was rebuilt 10 - 15 years ago (maybe 60 to 100 hours on it so far). The thing is that according to everything I have read, the carb numbers do not match and the original carbs are no longer available. I believe it...