FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
The lower two cylinders will jump the 3/8” gap, the top cylinder will not. I switched the coil from the top cylinder to a lower one and still had spark so it’s not the coils. Got an ohm reading out of all of the orange/blue, orange/purple and orange/green primaries in the upper 50s, cdi spec is...
Hey, I finally was able to find some time to get this old motor started and after replacing the stator and power pack it now sounds like it’s hitting a rev limiter when I start it. I’ve never seen this before so am somewhat at a loss for what to do. When I pull the top cylinder plug it will run...
I was finally able to load test the battery, it was good so I left it on the trickle over night. I think my gap tester is faulty because I tested it on another running motor and it wasn’t working. I was able to see spark holding the plug up to the block. I now can get the motor to run, but after...
I’ve run the tests, the only thing that seemed out of the ordinary was the stator that gave me a low resistance according to the cdi guide. I was almost certain that was the problem and found some chaffed wires when I pulled the original stator. The battery has been kept on a trickle in the...
I have a 1995 Johnson 70 with no spark.
Long story short I was working on the carbs, dropped a bolt and stupidly tried to fish it up with a copper wire I had nearby. Something ark’ed on the motor around the power pack area and there was a small spark. Since then I’ve had no spark.
Since my...
I recently went to launch my boat with a 1998 Mercury 115 2 stroke and it started fine but would die after about 10 seconds of idle. I could hear that it was clearly misfiring so I checked compression and spark today and the compression on all four cylinders is within 5 psi of 120 and the spark...