FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I have an early '70s Mercury 1400 inline six that won't start. The starter will turn if I hook jumper cables directly to it. If I try to start it with the key, the solenoid will "tick" but will not engage the starter. The battery has a good charge. What could the problem be?
I am rebuilding my merc 1400. I pulled the flywheel from the crank shaft and then dissassembled it without paying attention.:facepalm:Now I need to put it back together, but I am worried about screwing up the timing. Does it matter what position the center hub (the dettachable piece mounted in...
I need to buy a piston for my inline 6 powerhead (merc 140 hp), but I don't know what size to order. I have no history on the motor, but there are sleeves in it. Here are numbers engraved on the inside of the current damaged piston : #774-9137; 5320; ART; 12.....what does 5320, ART, and 12...
Looking to buy inexpensive replacement parts for a mercury 1400. What manufacturer has better quality for the price? Sierra, Quicksilver, or GLM? Thanks
Acceptable scoring on cylinder wall? finger nail does not "catch" per se.....see pics
I have scoring in 1 cylinder in a mercury 1400 (inline 6) because of damaged rings and piston. My fingernail does not necessarily "catch" on the scoring, but I can definitely feel the scoring when I run my...
Just bought an old mercury 1400 for $150. It has low compression on top cylinder (50) and around 85 on the remaining 5. I pulled the exhaust plate (i think) off the powerhead and I can see metal shavings in and around the top cylinder. what kind of damage has likely happened. Best case and worse...