FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
Just bought a 1984 9.8 merc and went to change the lower end oil and when I was draining the oil out I found there was water mixed in with the oil. I am assuming one of the seals is leaking but not sure. How big of a job is it to check the seals and replace them and what else do I need to do...
Bought this motor and was told it was a 1988 but see that 9.8 were only made up to 1985 serial # is 7214652 can't seem to find this serial number in any of the charts. I know it is from Canada because of the 7. Can anyone help me find what year it is. Also how can you tell which model it is...
I have a 1972 9.5 johnson the problem I have is after you start the motor if you do not get it in gear and give it some gas it usually will die. After that it is very hard to start up again can take sometimes 5 min before you can start it. It seems if it is running for a while and turns off...
I have read numerous post that say to use different size spark plugs
Book says champion J4C
Champion site says J8C
when I bought the motor it had J6C in it.
Can anyone tell me which is the best to run in this motor. Also should the gap be .030.
Thanks
:)
I recently purchased a 1972 9.5 johnson motor. The motor has no problem starting but after you increase the throtle and keep it at that speed the enging seems to bog down and then seems to speed up again and then sometimes die. It start back up no problem but cannot seem to stay running at...