1988 Yamaha115 starts, runs, does not shut off

robowenh

Cadet
My 1988 Yamaha 115 recently was not running, because of a kill switch problem. I posted the topic and thanks to the guys here, I fixed it. I had to disconnect the white killl switch wire from the CDI unit in the motor. On ce I did that the motor started and ran. <br /><br />The only problem was when I went to shut the motor off, nothing happened, it kept running. The ignition switch started the motor but did not turn it off. Some one please help I was so close to putting in the water.

BRIAN03

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1988 Yamaha115 starts, runs, does not shut off

The white wire in the Yamaha wire harness is put to groung to kill the ignition.The white wire is from the ecu to the key switch. When the Ignition key is in the off position the white wire is put to ground. There is a break in the white wire. Key switch,main harness or engine harness. Ohm out the white wire.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Dude<br /> you almost have the problem solved<br /> if it will run with the white wire removed from the CDI then you have a bad emergency stop switch ,a bad key switch or the white wire in the controlbox/ignition harness is shorted to ground. all are a lot cheaper than triggers stators or a CDI:) now its time to isolate the emergency stop switch. by the way. does it still have the clip and lanyard? do you know where the emergecy stop switch is located ?<br /> good luck and we are are the right track.<br /> :)

robowenh

Cadet

Its got the clip in the kill switch, I've checked the igition switch for continuity and the during off and on its good. During start i have to recheck continuity since I removed the white wire.<br />I will trace the white wire from the ignition back to the engine. what ever I find I will post. Thanks again