The ongoing debate about running the gas out

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have heard many sides of the argument at many places. But I have heard this is the best place so I will ask again. I have a Yamaha 25 four stroke and 9.9 2 stroke. Should I run the gas out or not when not using them for periods of time. (Im not going to winterize b/c our winter is so short and I might want to go out and drive it during the winter)If I should not run the gas out then what should I do to ensure my engines have a long and healthy life? Thanks<br /><br />-Stauter

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: The ongoing debate about running the gas out

i live in so ga i never run all the gass out unless i am not going to run it for a long time then i would drain the carbs at the bole you cant run it all out anyway. i have one boat i onley run it in the winter time .it has a windshield . probabley run it this summer taking the grandkids .if you going to run it in 5or 6 months dont worry about it .you could pump the bulb up to keep the carbs full once amonth orso.

Mercboy

Seaman Apprentice

Ahoy, stauter99. I assume you own a stauter-built boat! I have a 1977 14' v-bottom fisherman w/ sideconsole and livewell,powered by a 40 hp merc. What have you got?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Welcome to iboats ;) <br />I think I allready answered you in another forum, (FSOnline),but just in case I didn't,<br />Not good to do. Run the boat off the fuel line just until the RPM's ramp-up,or the engine sputters.Shut it off immediately to avoid fuel starvation,(which gerks the rings n jugs).<br />But this way, most of the old fuel is gone. What remains will be dilute enough after mixing with fresh fuel, as to be insigifigant.<br />Dang...Thems some 5 dollar werdz!Sorry.

Forktail

Ensign

Simple. Follow your owner's manual. Especially if they're on warranty. Really no debate here.<br /><br />You'll find Yamaha recommends running the carbs dry on the 4-stroke by idling until it stalls. And they recommend fogging the 2-stroke. They'll tell you to put a little oil in each cylinder in both the 4-stroke and 2-stroke. They will also recommend a fuel stabilizer if the fuel is stored for long periods. They don't necessarily say to run the stabilizer through the outboard to store it. Mainly just for the fuel tank.<br /><br />Modern-day fuels don't leave the gum/varnish/algie deposites behind like the fuels of yesteryears. Also the newer gasket and rubber materials are more resistant to breakdown from the fuel, and fuels aren't as aggressive at breaking down those materials either. Many fuel manufacturers say their fuel will go a year without stabilizers.<br /><br />The main thing to be concerned about is cylinder protection. And 2-strokes are more prone to atmospheric elements because of their somewhat open piston ports. Thus the fogging.<br /><br />Follow your manual. :)

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks 12 footer and Forktail! That helped me out a lot!! Hey mercman, I have a 1974 Semi-V Bottom Fisherman w/ a 9.9 yamaha 2 stroke.

Mercboy

Seaman Apprentice

Awesome stauter! Are you in Mobile? What is your email address? I'd like to send you some pics of my boat and chat with you some.

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My owners manual says to: spray fogging oil into the silencer cover alternatly and the engine will almost stall. Then it says to spray fogging oil into the cylinders fo 10 seconds each. Does this sound suffecient to you guys? Anything you want to add? Thanks!<br /><br />Also, where is the silencer cover located?

radsrh

Petty Officer 1st Class

The silencer cover is plastic cover over the intakes of the carb or carbs at the front of the engine, the opening is usually faces the back of the motor

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks radsrh, does anyone else have any suggetions?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

stauter99 <br />Depends on what the "period of time" is. If you're talking about a month or so, I would'nt worry about it. Nothing will sour in a month! If longer, add stabilizer, fog it and run the fuel out as the manual suggest. If your not sure how long it will be, at least add the stabilizer to protect the fuel. Cheap and safe!

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Rick, I plan to leave it sitting for 2-3 months. Now should I add stabilizer to my fuel, run the gas out and fog it in that order? I'm new to boats. Thanks!<br /><br />-Stauter

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Yes, But not in that order. Add stabilizer, run it for about 10 minutes to get the stabilizer in the carbs and then pull the fuel line and start fogging it through the carbs right away. Do this until it dies from lack of fuel, not from the fogging spray. You will have to be careful not to drown it out with the fogger, as opposed to letting it run out of fuel.<br /><br />EDIT: Actually, with the 4-stroke, all you would need to do is add the stabilizer and then let it run out of fuel. Then just spray some fogger in the plug holes and turn the engine over by hand 5 or 6 times to distribute it on the cylinder walls and such. No real need to "fog" it, as the rest is lubricated be the engine oil.

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Rick! That helped me out alot!!!!<br /><br />-Stauter

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where in the carb would I spray fogging oil? I'm new at this. Thanks!<br /><br />-Stauter

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Spray it in the throats of the carbs while the engine is running. BTW, I have a 1969 Stauter 14' semi-V. It is still in as good a shape as when Mr. Lawrence Stauter built it at his Causeway shop. Good boats.