Marine stereos

Delta Dog

Cadet
Hey everyone,<br /><br />Anybody know the difference between the marine stereos and car stereos?? And, if you put a car stereo in a center console with the water proof plastic cover, would it survive for long????<br /><br />Any feedback, trials or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!!

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Marine stereos

The car radio will be F#$%ed up in short order. You really need a stereo system designed for the marine environment, especially in saltwater. Also need to consider physical pounding that elaectronic instruments take on the water vs a car.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, DD.<br />Not in a salt environment. Been there, done that with a CB years ago. Lasted about 6 months.

dwarrick

Seaman Apprentice

I run in fresh water and I have been running standard car stereos for years they work fine as long as they are protected. I am a technician that works on all stereos and there is very little difference in the two. Some of the Marine stereos are just production models with white face plates. <br /><br />Just my two cents.

Delta Dog

Cadet

Thanks y'all,<br /><br />I think I am gonna try the special, sealed enclosure and waterproof flip cover. Between the both I think it is only about $35. <br /><br />Since I am in an 18', aluminum Sea Ark, CC, bowfishing boat with generator, 3000w of lights and fan motor running at all times, I am thinking the noise won't hurt my kind of fishing. <br /><br />Remember, if the fish don't bite, force feed 'em. Alligator gar stew anyone??? LOL!!!<br /><br />Thanks again for all the input and especially the thread attachment Schematic.