Oil warning horn going off.

kenpo11

Recruit
I have a 1989 Mariner 150 and just this past week the warning horn for the oil injector is going off constantly. I have checked the injector and its working fine...Plenty of oil. The oil tank under cowling is full and I have pressure to it. Any ideas why its sounding off? Also I purchased the motor used years ago and the dealer I believe turned up the oil injector to give it EXTRA oil to protect the engine through the warranty period. Is there a way to adjust it...its waaaay to RICH on oil. :confused:

jessie11

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Oil warning horn going off.

Have a 1992 150 Mariner ser# OD124111<br />Have the same problem, oil level is good and goes down during use. Only have mine at low rpm. When I give it the gas it goes away.

glen357

Cadet

I have a 1993 200HP (same oiler) with same problem and the gear under the power head was striped. Common problem I am told. I removed the oiler & premix the gas. Works fine and I donot have to worry if it is getting oil. G

jessie11

Seaman Apprentice

Hey G357,<br />What procedure did you do to remove the oil injection? My mechanic on my 1992 150 Mariner tels me I have to split the powerhead to remove the oil pump drive gear and install a plug kit to take up the space. How about the hose that supplies pressure to the remote tank. Did you have to plug it off? Any reply is appreciated.

glen357

Cadet

11<br />I had a shop do mine. That was when i first got the boat and didnt know anything about mercurys. You have to pull powerhead to replace the plastic gear that stripps. Its located on the crankshaft under the ph. $$$$<br />He just removed pump put a cover over the hole pluged the line & disconnected the horn. Make sure the overheat still works. I think he charged me $50 for test and all. I have 2 tanks i alway run one dry then i always have fresh gas. 12 gal of gas 1qt of oil. Someone on here can tell you how to properly disconnect the horn. G

gss036

Commander

Do a search at the top, should be several posts on the subject. Most people don't want them disconnected, but it is a simple process. I run an 89 200 hp Merc and have never has a problem.

boaterhead

Cadet

1992 Mariner 150hp<br /><br />I too am a victim of the stripped plastic drive gear on the crankshaft for the oil injection pump. Can get everything unhooked and run premix at 50:1 but cant seem to get the beep-beep-beep low oil alarm to go away. I disconnected the green wire from the lubalert at the switchbox, unhooked the wires from the reservoir cap but still have the beep. How do I make it go away?

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

The green wire at the lubalert runs to the switchbox and hence won't stop the beep beep beep, since it runs to the switchbox it acts as the engine defense system. That is, if you overheat or run low on oil it will alter your timing so that you can't go above 2000RPM.<br /><br />Do away with the lubalert all together. Just make sure you run the overheat switch to the warning horn so that you can tell if it is overheating or not. With this disconnected you won't get the self-test 3 beeps when you initially turn the key to the "ON" position.