A1 Merc start problems

Prop got cuaght on rope which killed the engine. Once back on shore rope was removed from prop and engine will not turn over. When the key is turned a click noise is heard from engine. Were to Start ???

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: A1 Merc start problems

Go to Engine FAQ, "Outboard wont start".<br /><br />Let us know what you find, and tell us what engine you have.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

engine is a chev 305 merc model 228 when Ignition key is turned the started does not spin and I hear a click around the solenoid. The voltage at the starter is 10 volts. I have the same thinking that it is either the starter or selenoid however I had no previous problems before and I am some what surprised the a problem on the outboard would cause such a fualt. Could the boat some how be still in gear and there is a saftey switch that prevents the engine from starting.

KCLOST

Commander

Need 12 volts at the starter to raise and turn.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Did you try jumping or charging the battery? Having owned an I/O, my first thought is that you wouldn't have heard a click if it was a neutral switch issue.<br /><br />You might try the mercruiser forum. Those guys probably know more about I/Os than here in the outboard forum.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I/O topic