Temp?, from a 86' Merc. 175hp V6

KCLOST

Commander
It's a black max.... This post may be lengthy, so I appologize in advance....<br /><br />I recently installed a new teleflex temperature guage with a new sender to match... My old guage didn't have numbers on it and I was concerned about what the actual temperature was...<br />So I got it on there and took it out this morning...Both guages measure metal head temps...<br /><br />After leaving the ramp, I noticed that the engine wasn't running properly like it was dropping a cylinder or something. While leaving the no wake zone the guage slowly climbed up to about 140F. So I hit the throttle to get on plane and the motor is really laging, but it does manage to get on plane and picks up speed. I reached about 5000-5100 rpms and this is all the engine has.. I look at the temp. guage and it only climbed to 155F...<br /><br />But since the engine isn't running right I head back to the dock... When I pull off the cowling to take a look at things, I realize that I forgot to plug in the spark plug lead going into the #2 cylinder, which is right above the temp. sender. <br />So I plug it in, and head back out... <br />Now, while in the no-wake zone (1100rpms) the guage climbs to 180f... I hit the throttle and it quickly zaps up on plane (running good). I get up to 5600rpms and look at the guage and it's reading 210-215F. WOW!!!!<br /><br />So I get to thinking... I'm measuring metal temps on the head. And I got readings with the top cylinder dead and while firing and I'm seeing 60 degrees difference. When it wasn't firing and reading 155F, it must have "basically" indicated the water temp more than anything as very little combustion temps came into play. Some possibly from the nearby cylinder, but you get my point..<br /><br />But 215F while it's firing really bothers me....<br />I'm sure the impeller is fine (changed last fall), the t-stats are new, the poppet valve/diaphram/spring is new. Compression is 120psi in all cylinders. The head gaskets are new. And I have good water pressure, 10-12psi at cold start, 5-7psi at idle with the t-stats opened, and climbing to 22-23 psi at 5000-5600 rpms... And I can see the poppet opening and closing at around 2500 to 3000 rpms by looking at the guage.<br />And it pees like a champ....<br /><br />I've asked this question before, but I guess I have to ask again... Can this be normal?<br />I know black max's run hot but is this too hot? Remember my water temps are probably around 145-155F, if my assumption is correct....<br />Any thoughts....

ronmold

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Temp?, from a 86' Merc. 175hp V6

My '86 175 does exactly the same thing. Anything above 5000 and it goes right to the 210 mark which is just before the red line. Water pressure acts the same. Looks like you have a good ol' black max!

KCLOST

Commander

Thanks for the response DasBoot, It's nice to know... And good to have this on record for others...

Boston Habba

Seaman

Same engine similar problem. Changed t-stats = no change. Runs hot at 180 or above (sometimes slightly into red zone). Seems to pee just fine. If I'm running at 3500 rpm (180+ degrees) and then drop to idle the temp quickly drops to about 150.<br /><br />Was about to rebulid water pump and replace poppet. Will this help? As KCLOST asks, what's normal? I spent a lot of time rebuilding the power head last winter and would rather not have it seize up on me.<br /><br />Otherwise runs fine.

Boston Habba

Seaman

Just a thought-is it worthwhile to measure actual water temp of the pee stream?

KCLOST

Commander

The overheat alarm is set to go off at 240F... And the 240F is in regards to the head metal temperature... It has nothing to do with water... That is a big difference between our motors and the newer ones... They set them both up to measure metal... <br />As my mistake with the plug lead indicated, the temp. without the top cylinder firing ran around 150F, which would closely indate the water temperature.<br /><br />I would bet that your water temps are more around 140F-150F at WOT also... Go ahead and measure it if you can do it safely...Do you have a way to hook up the sensor to the water line?<br /><br />Keep in mind Boston, of all the replacements I made which I mentioned earlier, none of them, I mean none, did anything to drop my temperatures... The replacement of my head gaskets actually made my lower rpm temps go up from approx. 140-150F to the 180F that I have now.. Mercury changed the water passage hole size to a much smaller diameter... I was assured by mercury that this was an engineering change made in the late 80's, but was given no reason why...<br />All I know is, that this newer style gasket makes the engine run even hotter at 1000-3000rpms... I have seen no difference in WOT temps. however....<br /><br />I'd almost bet my boat, that you still have the original head gaskets on your motor if you're running 150F at no-wake speeds... Do you?<br />And what year, model is it?

Boston Habba

Seaman

It's a 175HP v6 1986. The head gaskets are new as of last year. To clarify-- when first started the temp rapidly climbs to 180+ at no wake. It often gets to about 200-210F Then drops back to 180 at 3000-4000 RPM. At WOT, 5500 RPM, again runs at about 200F. After I've been running a while at 3000-4000rpm and drop to no wake speed the temp quickly drops to 150F but gradually runs back up to 180.<br /><br />The engine running at 180 doesn't bother me. It's the 210F+ that has me concerned. Should I be as worried as I am or is it OK?<br /><br />Are there any Mercury mechanics out there who would like to comment?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I don't have a temp guage, but it would seem to me that the temps you are seeing are normal since you have 3 people with just about the same numbers.<br /><br />What water temps are you running in? My motor runs well with water temps in the 60's but once the water temps drop into the 50's the darn thing will not run right until I clear the inlet and run a while out to the fishing grounds. I'd bet the reduced hole size in the gasket was to try and compensate for this problem.

ronmold

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think the 240 overheat alarm says it all, these things (the head anyways) run hot and by the number of older 2.4L motors still crankin' out there, they like it that way. Best advice - use good oil, and for me that's Amsoil.

KCLOST

Commander

I almost guarantee we are ok Boston and dasboot, I've been running my motor at WOT conditions with our temps for a few years (right after I purchased it) without any problems..<br /><br />By the way, The Marine Doctor also feels the same way...<br /><br />I hope others with black max v6 motors would also comment on what they are seeing, in regards to temperatures so we can get this on record....<br /><br />What a great forum!!!!!!

rocks

Seaman

Like I was explainig on my post,I have a 1983 mariner 150 which I believe is simalar to yours.My problem is everything is new except my sender and it still goes off at 2200rpm's.I have even checked telltale water at running speed and got 160F. I probably need to replace sender even though it looks like not much could go wrong with it.

KCLOST

Commander

See other post....<br /><br />Let us know...

Boston Habba

Seaman

I give up. Just to be safe I replaced the water pump with the complete kit not just the impeller. Poppet looks good and the stats are also new. Now It is worse than ever! Temp gague pegs out high after only a few minutes running. Don't understand how the engine is overheating. The telltale pees like a horse.<br /><br />I have an appointment at the shop on Monday- I've put enough of my time into this 9not to mentiuon the lost fishing time). Maybe a pro can figure it out.

KCLOST

Commander

Are you actually getting an overheat alarm????<br /><br />If not, I don't think you have a problem...<br />What was the actuall temp. you were getting last time out?

KCLOST

Commander

And please let us know what you find out from the mechanic, if you do indeed take it in...

Boston Habba

Seaman

No overheat alarm but I also don't get a beep when I turn the key - think the alarm module is shot or was disabled when oil pump was removed. I've been relying on the gauge. It pegged out at over 240. Maybe I don't have a problem but with 4-6 weeks of fishing season left i don't want to take the chance of frying this engine. I'll let you know what the mech has to say on Monday.

gss036

Commander

I think the brown/blue wire goes to the sender on the head. If you can put your hand on top of the heads and hold for a little bit, you are not overheating, just an electrical problem.

KCLOST

Commander

Boston, you are correct....<br /><br />The alarm module was disabled when the oil injection was removed...(mine is the same way)... But the overheat switch should still be active and working, if everything with the oil injection was removed correctly.. All you need to test is the overheat sensor... As long as it still functions properly it will still set off the alarm... That lead runs to a terminal block.. and if it is grounded to the block the alarm will still sound....<br /><br />240F does sound too high however....<br /><br />If you want to test the horn, try running a wire from that terminal block to ground (or the block itself), with the ignition key turned on... If it goes off, you at least know that the alarm horn works... You only have to test the sensor after that....<br /><br />Let us know...