MAX SIZE ENGINE

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer
Re: MAX SIZE ENGINE

Is there a US Coast Guard capacity plate on your boat? Silver with a yellow stripe across the top? Max HP should be listed there.<br /><br />Mac

JASON2478

Recruit

BOAT WAS REPAINTED ALL PLATES WERE COVERED,I READ ON PLATE THAT SAYS 65 HP IS MAX, BUT I HAVE A 1979 80 HP MERCURY STRAIGHT FOUR WITH GOOD COMPRESSION, WHAT SHOULD MY CONCERNS BE WITH USEING THIS MOTOR ON A 14 FT YANKEE

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Handling problems, Insurance will not cover you if you have an accident(You'd have to lie about the HP in the first just to get insurance), Stern could sit too low in the water, Ect. But, it could work fine, except for the insurance problem.

dilligafda

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not to mention the fines that the CG could impose for over powering a boat!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

dilligaf <br /><br />Yeah, and that's no cheapy!! Trade or sell yours and find a good 65HP and have piece of mind.

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer

I put a 150hp merc on a 1969 14' Chris Craft Corsair little bay skiff. No plates though.... I reinforced the transom and this boat handled OK. It had a 65hp on it when I bought it. If your boat has been rated, you will have to follow those guidlines. I had no plates so I guess I can Kill myself and others running around with my hair on fire...... Why don't you put that 65 cowling on the 80. The weight difference with be the same. Just your top end will increase about 5 to 10 mph. Be cautious .......

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

oh, Jason... please turn CAPS LOCK off.... unless you want to be considered SHOUTING! ;)

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Go ahead and put the 80 on there. I'm sure it would be fine! Up to you! 65 Decals and your set to go. My question would be, why even ask here if you know the rating?

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Jason2478, welcome to iboats. If i were you i would seriously look into doing what Rick said in his second post to your question.It's pretty sound advice in my book.