If your having a suspected fuel problem, read this first

greasemonkeyozi

Petty Officer 1st Class
Once again I save the day.<br /> I was traveling to a good unexposed part of a lake, about 12 miles out from civilisation, when I noticed an old man flagging me down from a distance. Turnes out he was having motor problems and wanted me to tow him back, 12 miles.<br /> Knowing me, I keep a tool box with me everywhere I go, you should too, and went ahead and tried to diagnose his problem on the spot. I found that his fuel pump was pumping good, and his carbs were adjusted correctly. All plugs were sparking so I diagnosed a clogged jet. <br /> I had a 1/2 can of Sea Foam stored from my last monthly preventive maint. and sprayed some in his carborators while his motor was running. When he went to accelarate afterwards, his motor jumped out of the water like it has never done before as he said. <br /> To get to the point, before anyone posts a problem on this post about a suspected fuel problem, run some sea foam deep creep in your motor. This stuff cleans your fuel system out. <br /> I get on here alot and see alot of the same old problems and other people reply telling others to use sea foam, such as myself, so to save ourselves some hearache, keep a can of Sea Foam Deep Creep on board. You can get this stuff at NAPA.

greasemonkeyozi

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: If your having a suspected fuel problem, read this first

P.S. To all moderators who see this post, I know I'm not suppose to solicitate for sell on this site, but the only place available to buy Sea Foam is NAPA. Is this O.K.?

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

I don't want to be a wet blanket on the SeaFoam bandwagon but you may be doing a disservice to many boaters with limited mechanical experience that will now think they can fix anything by squirting something in their carb throats. Many if not most of the fuel problems outlined on these outboard forums often boil down to people who thought they rebuilt their carbs by spraying some carb cleaner in the throat of their distressed engine and have now bought god know how many unneeded spare parts when what they really needed to do was do a proper maintenance on their carburetors. There is nothing magical about SeaFoam or any of the other similar competing products. If your engine is not dirty with carbon deposits it will do nothing. If your engine is dirty with carbon deposits it might help. If your carb is dirty it should be cleaned properly or you may just confuse the issue as so many have done here. I applaud your quick fix of the stranded boater and he no doubt rightly thanks you for having a fix on the water.<br /><br />Your frequent comments on the wonders of a particular brand of a sometimes useful group of products rings of the recently converted. I myself have used similar products and in no way want my comments to sound disparaging. I just think we need to keep this in perspective and realize that no one method or product is the be all and end all of boater maintenace.

ZmOz

Captain

This is why I allways keep a can of seafoam in my boat. :D (along with tools and a jump start battery) I had a similar problem...motor wouldn't go over 1200 RPMs under load. Seafoam made it work so fast it actually scared me!

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like it should be an export product...<br />OVER HERE.... :D <br />I don't think M G R is saying it's a substitute for regular maintainence. Everyone knows that Carbies need adjustment and components wear out.<br />It's like fuel additive.. A useful product to add to your toolbox.

jdkzrt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

jimd ---- halleluja (or however the recently converted spell it). Like you I am getting tired of the advertising of this miracle product.

streadway

Seaman

bull sh*t you don't clean a clogged jet by spraying something into the carb. seafoam is a good product.but don't try and sh*t an old shi*tter.

ZmOz

Captain

It could very easily have disloged something in the jet. It DISSOLVES many things it comes in contact with...so if there was something in the jet it would have made the something into many smaller somethings which could flow through. ;) Also a recent google search I did on "deep creep" turned up a place that sells it online...maybe they ship to canada?

dnewell

Cadet

I used deep creek in my carbs and know it sputters at first take off. It runs oK at full speed. What caused=s it to sputter at take off?

ZmOz

Captain

If it didn't do that before you must have bumped something when spraying or maybe disloged some dirt and let it go to another area to cause trouble? I know just the Deep Creep wouldn't do that.

nospark1196

Seaman Apprentice

I saw on CNN this morning that the CIA and NSA will be spraying Seafoam to disarm N Korea, and control tensions in the Middle East! I also witnessed CPR with someone spraying Deep Creep down the victims "throat"<br /><br />I'm sorry Merc. Grease Rag, I could not resist!

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, that's right, that's the ticket and oh yeah,it made hair grow on my bald spot.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Guys... from the MSDS on SeaFoam. <br /><br /> http://www.seafoamsales.com/pdf/trans_tune.pdf <br /><br />It is:<br /><br />Pale oil - straight naphthenic mineral oil, straw or pale yellow in color, used as a once-through lubricant and in the formulation of process oils. <br /><br />Naptha – a hydrocarbon solvent<br /><br />IPA – IsoPropal Alcohol (rubbing alcohol)<br /><br />Go buy yourself some Naptha at Home Depot and you will get the same thing.<br /><br />Ken

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

If you really wanted to get fancy you could blend Naptha, Baby oil, and IPA and get darn near the same thing.<br /><br />Disclaimer: Try this at your own risk. I have not researched this and determined it is safe for your motor. I am only assuming it would be OK because the ingredients listed above are similar to Sea Foam.<br /><br />Ken

ZmOz

Captain

There's got to be other things in it, they wouldn't list the exact ingredients list there...

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Possibly there are other things in there, but most likely not.<br /><br />Sea Foam has been around for a while which means the chemicals in it have been around for a while. Most "solvent" type chemicals that have been around for a while are classified as hazardous. If it has this classification, it must be on the MSDS.<br /><br />All three ingedients listed on the MSDS do what the product advertises. The pale oil is the top cylinder lubricant, the naptha cleans and decarbonizes, and the IPA lets the water mix with the fuel (nothing removes water from fuel, it only allows the two liquids to mix so it can be burnt up in your engine).<br /><br />The only missing thing is the fuel stabilzer and perhaps the naptha does that too. I will do more research on that. My next target - Stabil.<br /><br />Ken

Merc90HPnewbie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ive read my share of MSDS's as part of my job and usually they either tell you all of the ingredients or they have a phrase there that says something like "Trade secret". If you dont see a component like that then you are looking at the complete list of ingredients. That was a good idea looking up the MSDS, how much does naptha cost per gallon? Mix it with gas drier and some oil and you've made your own decarbonizer I guess...

Heck, last week while out on the water this guy blew # 3 piston through the powerhead. I sprayed some Sea Foam into the carb and the motor repaired itself on the spot!<br /><br />Sea Foam is just a Placebo, like the rest of these "miracle" products.

greasemonkeyozi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good lord, I didnt wanna get anyones panties in a wad. I was just expressing myself on how well this product is.<br /> JIMD, I'm sorry if you think I misslead anyone on thinking this is an alternative to Rebuilding Carbs or something, Its just a good product to keep on board incase of any type of fuel problems happen on the water, knowing from experiance.<br /> Just to keep a good name on this site, I promise to stop advertising this stuff, I would hate for someone to do further damage to their motors and blame us for it.... thats for people who dont know how to use it. <br />sorry guys :(