Merc. 500-50hp

izuizme

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK I'm back on the water motor is running,starting up fine after carb rebuild,<br />& 4 new coils.But still having an old problem, at times while running at 3,000 to 4,000 rpm the motor surges real high and lose's mid to top end power creating an unsafe condition in heavy boat trafic,please advise

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Merc. 500-50hp

I would guess that you would have it on the trailer and in gear. Grab prop and try to turn it. If it turns and the shaft doesn't, then it's spun.

izuizme

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, I tried turning prop with it in gear,and the entire motor turned over..what else/next ?? :confused:

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Try spanner on the nut to stop it turning over.<br />Sounds pretty firm to me if it can turn over the engine with no slip ???

Mikael-Block

Seaman

hi izuizme<br />The best way to tell is to mark the hub and the prop with paint. They must still be aligned after <br />you have had the boat sailing<br /> /<br />(/)<br />/<br /><br />Mikael

izuizme

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mikael-Block that sound like the best way to determine if the prop is slipping I'll ive it a try and post my reply...thanks for the tips fellas :p