2003 mercury 4 stroke

fituso

Recruit
I recently bought a 2003 90 hp mercury 4 stroke<br />and the lower unit leaks oil-- the dealer said this is a common problem -- has anyone else had this problem with the 2003's and Eventhough I realize this is a covered warranty item and is currently being addressed what future trouble will this possibly cause...

crzy4wlvs

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2003 mercury 4 stroke

I think that the dealer said that just because hes a sales men, first off were is it leaking from? and if you run out of fluid your whole lower unit can brake down on ya then you will have to buy a new one, better find out were it is coming from and fix it right away

crzy4wlvs

Seaman Apprentice

sometimes the problem happens when the washer on the bolt that drains the lube out getts worn away and it will leake out from there but if your lower unit is cracked, take it back to the dealer

sharkcat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its a new engine with a fault even if the dealer says it is a common problem.It should be fixed by the dealer under warranty.Ill bet if the lower unit runs out of oil & breaks you wont be covered by warranty because you had an oil leak & didnt get it fixed.(The dealer concerned would probably forget that you had notified him of the problem).Put your complaint in writing & send a copy to the dealer & one to mercury... should get things moving for you.The onus is on the dealer to put it right now before there are any more problems.