Took my 20 Hp Merc out today and....

NathanY

Commander
It ran like a scalded dog. In fact, it is too much motor for my boat. Now Im gonna trade it for a 15. It was so fast that there was nothing in the water except the prop. It is the first time that I have ever been scared to ride in a boat. At half throttle I was up on plane cruising at about 19 (GPS) and when I hammered it I was at 38 (GPS). I dont like going that fast in a 14 ft Richline aluminum boat. So if anyone has a 15 HP that they want to trade just e-mail me.

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Took my 20 Hp Merc out today and....

you dont half to run it wide open. if youcant help your self i woul git a bigger boat

THE-TAZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nathan, I don't know how you use your boat but the extra horsepower may come in handy one day. If you add an extra person or gear it may be just right. As was stated you don't have to gap her back all the time. Keep them dogs in the cage till they are needed and cut 'em loose as necessary. :D What horsepower is your boat rated for?<br /><br />Taz

NathanY

Commander

Yeah but it sure was fun! That motor weighs 40lbs more than my 15 did, and that is too much weight on the back of that boat. With my 15 I could plane out just fine with me and all my gear in the boat, and I dont let other people fish with me very often, so I dont really need or want that big of motor.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Uh ohh.<br />Nathan said it was "fun".<br />Gotta warn ya Nathan, 38mph is habit forming but not near as habit forming as 48 or 58 or 68 or ...<br />Don' forget, drain plug in and your PFD nice and snug.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty