Replacing Cylinder Block Cover Gasket?

KCLOST

Commander
I got a water leak around the bottom spark plug on my 1984, 50hp, Merc. It's obviously the head gasket and this leak has just appeared..<br /><br />I just got done pulling the powerhead to replace the Powerhead and exhaust cover gaskets and I'm dreading having to pull it again to fix this latest problem. After looking at it last night, I think I can get the head (cylinder head) off without pulling the entire powerhead. <br />Has anyone ever done this. I'll need to worry about getting a torque wrench on the bottom head bolts (the bottom cowling wraps around that area) when I tighten everything up but other than that I don't see a big problem...<br />Anyone with this type of experience? I'd appreciate any suggestions, concerns, help...

KCLOST

Commander
Re: Replacing Cylinder Block Cover Gasket?

BTW, I can't get the cowling off without Pulling the head and every wire,cable,etc...

Hooty

Rear Admiral

How bad do you not want to pull the p/h? You could always cut a notch in the lower cowling. Just a thought.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

KCLOST

Commander

The only thing I'm worried about is when I replace the cylinder block cover. I'll be able to get everything off ok. But getting a torque wrench on the bottom screws will be a problem....<br /><br />What if I mark the bottom bolts with a line that shows the final tightening position and return them to that same location after I replace the gasket.... Think it will work?

RICKRICK1

Ensign

Is the leak massive or just a drip? Om my 65 I had a small leak around the #2 plug. A friend told me it was just the water cover gasket and I could change the gasket or remove the plug and with my fingers work some RTV in to the area that was leaking. JUst dont get any in the plug threads or into the cylinder. This worked for me and mine hasnt leaked for two years now.

KCLOST

Commander

The leak is more of a small constant stream of water that runs down from the plug opening. I'd say about a drip or two a second...<br /><br />I may try the sealant first and see if that does the trick and then replace the gasket this winter..

Walker

Captain

I don't think you have a head gasket on that motor. It just a water cover and the bolts don't have to be torqued, just don't strip them out when you replace the cover.

KCLOST

Commander

You're right Walker....<br /><br />I guess I should have used some common sense....<br />Thanks.... Sorry for my bad terminology...