merc v6 mechanical problems

Brandon Goodwin

Recruit
I have a merc v6 I/O in my 85 Glassmaster. As of late I have been experiencing poor handling after about an hour of use. The engine starts bogging down when going from a standstill to planing speed and shortly after I cannot give it any throttle without the engine choking out. It will then ussually crank back up, however, The throttling problem continues. So far I have cleaned the carb and the flame arrestor well, checked the fuel filter, checked the fuel pump and so far i've found nothing out of the ordinary. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need more info simply put it in your post.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: merc v6 mechanical problems

Remove the flame arrester on the carb. Manually operate the throttle plate,while looking down the barrel off the cab (engine off).<br />You should hear a hissing sound,and see a fine stream of gas shoot into the carb body. If you don't see and hear this, the accilerator pump in the carb has failed.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Other causes could be fuel filter,water in carb bowl,and ignition timing. Pay particular attention to the vaccum hoses.<br />(vaccum advance)

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

First check your state of tune . A bad condensor could do this to you.While your tuning take a careful look at your plugs.Any white deposits?This indicates water intrusion.There should be no vac. advance on this engine or any marine engine.When are you ever running downhill?