Mercury 4 age and overheating

Villy

Recruit
Hi, I have just got an used Mercury Outboard 4 Hp with the serial number 9448801 - do any one have a clue how old this can be ?<br /><br />The next problem is that apparently no cooling takes place. After a few minutes the motor gets vey warm and must be shut down - again does anyone have some ideas to check ?<br /><br />Thanks in advance<br /><br />best regards<br /><br />Villy

fone_man

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercury 4 age and overheating

...used Mercury Outboard 4 Hp with the serial number 9448801...<br /><br />------------------------------------------<br /><br />9448541 - ??? 1986 4 HP<br /> http://www.marinshopen.se/ <br /><br /><br /><br />------------------<br />"Keep it between the Bouys" & Good Luck!!!<br /><br />fone_man

MarkC

Seaman

Tell us more---is it pumping water?

Villy

Recruit

There is no water comming out of the motor

MarkC

Seaman

Water is what keeps the engine cool. You need to fix this. I don't know where to start---since you didn't mention the water at first, I'm guessing you're very new to outboards. If not, my apologies for starting with the basics.,<br /><br />Are you running it in water? With a hose fitting? With "earmuffs"? To run the thing at all, you need to give it water. If it has its lower end in the water, it sucks it up. Otherwise (if you're testing it out of the water) you need to give it water, either by putting its lower end in a large container of water, or using a device to give it water from a hose (one common device looks like earmuffs---it seals around the water intake holes and a hose hooks to it).<br /><br />If you have been trying to run without water, you need to replace the water pump impeller, because it would be damaged by doing that. If you have been testing in water or with a hose, then still you need to replace the impeller, because its not pumping water. So, get a manual, get an impeller kit, and replace the impeller. Also look for mud or other blockage in the water passages while you're in there.

Villy

Recruit

You are right. I am very new in this, so thanks for your help. It has run a few times of a few seconds without water, but I will find out how to open and how to replace impeller.<br />Villy