merc oil injection

rbringo

Cadet
Can anyone tell me when Mercury started putting oil injection in their outboards?

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: merc oil injection

Seems Suzuki was the first to introduce oil injection...and Merc followed soon after. Hmmm...I'm gonna guess somewhere between 1983-1986. My 1987 200 hp Merc had it...<br />Walt

rbringo

Cadet

Thanks Walt. Was your oil reservoir internal or external? Do you know of any problems with the first systems or were they well designed?

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a pair of 1985 175HP Mariners with oil injection, they worked fine till I replaced the engines with new mercs. They included a reservoir under the cowl and and external reservoir to feed them. The engines ran like scalded cats up until I submersed them...I have replace them with two Mercs now and have had the oil injection removed only cause I was advised to do so by more than one "experienced" sailer, not because I had any problems. Hope this helps.

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I believe my set up was the same as bringo describes. Truth is...I used my 200 on a jet sled with a 15 hp Merc kicker that had a built in tank which fed both engines. So I didn't have to carry a remote tank for the kicker, I ran a 50:1 ratio for both.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

V6 mercs had oil inj in 1984....