Merc. Experts.............

harrison20002

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Everyone, a very Happy Newyear to all of you!<br /><br />I have owned 2 Merc's, [100 hp. & and a 115hp.] One had a red band the other a blue band. Could anyone tell me when the different bands were used. I would also like to know when Mercury quit making the White and silver? In general the color coding of Mercury through the years? Thanks Hal :D

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Merc. Experts.............

Merc's "colorful" years began in the early 50's until around 1958 where you could find Merc's in orange/cream, green silver, green cream, blue/cream etc... In '59 - '61 Merc's color scheme was your basic white. 1962 saw the first Phantom Black Merc with the introduction of the 100 hp in line six cylinder (the original Tower of Power).<br />I believe 1964 was the first year to see the entire Merc line in Phantom Black. Primary colors returned in 1968 when Merc dressed up the cowling with an apple red band that housed the Mercury name. 1969 saw a slight change to the lettering outline. The red band changed in 1970 - '71 from a single solid red band to two red bands that ran above and below the Mercury lettering. 1972 (my personal favorite) saw the first blue band around the cowling. I'm fairly certain it was in 1975 that Merc first introduced their V-6 but I can't say for sure what graphics they used on those models. In '75-'76 Merc became a bit more fancy with the band stripes...opting for tri-colored bands that had turned down flags toward the back of the cowling. Blue remained the dominant accent color for some years to come, but in the early '80's Merc eventually went to a gawdy golden brown color scheme that I never much cared for. <br /><br />I think that about covers it...at least that's the best I can remember...<br /><br />Walt

Fitch

Seaman Apprentice

Red was around 68 to 69 and the blue started in 1970 I think. If you have the ser.# a dealer can give you the info on it. :eek:

steve forsythe

Petty Officer 1st Class

I always thought a red band was for fresh water and a blue band was saltwater series??

Trent

Captain

Walter is correct..Blue started in 1972.<br />Colors changed with the years like Walter said. And the Blue band was also my personal favorite.

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Purse may be correct for current Merc models. I've seen new Mercs with either blue or red graphics...

harrison20002

Petty Officer 1st Class

Many thanks men, As I said I've owned two Mercurys in the past, two of the best outboards ever. I have always wondered about the cowling stripes on them.<br /><br />Walter, thanks a lot for the complete story. Thanks again all and good luck to you in the coming year. Hal :D