Steering arm stuck

Bbejr

Cadet
Hi all,<br />I have an 84 65hp evinrude. The steering is stuck in the mount bracket. I have the lower unit and mount bracket off the engine but I can't get the arm out. If I use a lot of force I can turn it partially side to side. There is a lot of corrosion on the inside of the arm. I have tried using a mallet, a prybar, heat, and penetrating oil with no success. I'm pretty sure I have all the bolts out but maybe I'm missing something. Any suggestions? Thanks.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steering arm stuck

Welcome Bbejr!<br /><br />You havn't taken the motor apart enough yet if your trying to get the steering arm and tube out of the swivel bracket.<br /><br />You will need to pull the head, remove the midsection and all the rubber mounts.<br /><br />Here is the link to BRP's site. Click on engine diagrams and follow the prompts. You can print out the parts breakdown for your midsection and it will help you out. You really should have the OEM service manual for what you are trying to do.<br /><br /> http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/ <br /><br />Hope I'm on track here with what your trying to do.

Bbejr

Cadet

Thanks for the quick replies. <br /><br />OBJ, I was told I needed to pull the head but I have managed to remove the swivel bracket from the motor (the motor is off of the boat)without pulling the head. I removed the lower unit and the transom clamps leaving the swivel bracket and steering arm on the bench. If I clamp the arm or bracket to the bench I can turn the other with a lot of force but it doesn't want to come out.<br /><br />rickdb1boat, That part of the steering is working fine.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Were you able to remove the mount bracket (#12 in the parts diagram)?

Bbejr

Cadet

ezeke,<br />yes 12 is removed. I am down to parts 1 (swivel bracket), 7 (steering arm assembly) and 93 (shock absorber) with whater bushings and seals go with them. <br /><br />7 is what I'm trying to get out. <br /><br />The pin holding the shock absorber is pretty tight and corroded too but I haven't gotten to it yet.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You removed that set screw (#6)?<br /><br />If you have removed the set screw or don't have one, run the nut back up flush with the bottom of the steering arm assembly, place a piece of 2X4 or similar soft block against it and try striking it. It should lift out.

Bbejr

Cadet

Hmmm... I'm not sure if I got the setscrew, I'll have to check when I get home. There is a friction screw on there somewhere, is that 6? <br /><br />I've tried striking it without success so far. I had to cut the nut off because of heavy corrosion.

Bbejr

Cadet

I checked and the setscrew (6) is out an I don't see any other fasteners.