what rpm should wot be on a 1993 70 evinrude

budman8330

Cadet
Re: what rpm should wot be on a 1993 70 evinrude

im not too sure on your motor, but my old 115 evinrude (89 vro) ran about 4900, i believe that was close to manual specs :)

walleyehed

Admiral

5600-5800 will provide the best service, longevity and fuel economy at cruise.<br />budman8330, 4900 in the v4 crossflow is lugging it...high combustion temps causes coking and several other issues that can and will kill it sooner than later.

CFronzek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WOT rpm depends a lot on what boat is being pushed,how much the whole package weighs and how much life is left in your motor.<br />There is a rule of thumb that any particular motor has a desireable WOT rpm which is best for it. But, if your motor is worn, if the boat's occupants are two 350 lb. NFL lineman with a week's worth of food and beer, and the boat has a bilge full of soggy floataion foam it ain't likely to pull max revs. <br />So it would help to know what boat this is hanging on and if everything is in tiptop order.<br />Charlie

walleyehed

Admiral

Boat weight and/or design has nothing to do with the correct WOT RPM...doesn't matter what it's on, the RPM I listed above will allow the engine to opperate efficiently at any RPM below that, on any boat.<br />That RPM should be attained with a normal load as well, whether your normal is 6, 350lb guys or 1 200lb guy, it has to be set-up for a specific RPM for your normal load.

CFronzek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

walleyhed,<br />Just trying to introduce a little caution into this investigation. <br />The first part of what you said is correct. Theoretically every engine has a desirable WOT rpm range. <br />But I can't imagine someone asking about WOT rpm if they aren't interested in seeing their motor get there. And if their motor's clapped out it may not get there. And if the boat is too heavy to get up on plane it may not get there. And if there is a high pitch prop it may not get there either. <br />And worst of all if the motor can't sustain those kind of revs and someone, unwisely, tries to force it damage could result.

clanton

Rear Admiral

If you lug this engine, it will cook the center cylinder. Prop as close to 6000 rpms as you can get, insure the latest OEM waterpump kit is installed, and the timing is correct.

walleyehed

Admiral

CFronzec, to eliminate every single issue you just listed, prop for 5800-6000, or everything listed by you can happen.

MAKO72

Seaman

Thanks for all the info. it is on a 17 mid 80's aquasport.