74 Evinrude 70 HP

mmcmille

Cadet
I have a 74 Evinrude 70 HP that I had a lower unit go out and i bought another one off of ebay but I put it on to find out that it is a reversed gearcase for I'm guessing a twin outboard. Does anyone have any ideas what I could do other than getting another lower unit? My local boat repair shop told me that I could try and find a dual control box but I haven't been able to find one of those.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 74 Evinrude 70 HP

Buy reversed direction propellers. You could then help counteract all of the rest of us spinning the water clockwise. :D <br /><br />Sorry couldn't resist, but they are actually available.

mmcmille

Cadet

i've been looking online for some, do you know where i could get one at?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

They never made a counter rotation gearcase for that motor.

CATransplant

Admiral

The key word is "counter-rotating." Since lots of people use twin outboards, counter-rotating props aren't that hard to find.<br /><br />That said, I tried looking on iboats Prop finder, and did not find any counter-rotating props for your outboard.

mmcmille

Cadet

Well, something is reversed and there is no way it could be hooked up wrong...

CATransplant

Admiral

Dhadley,<br /><br />Interesting. That's the conclusion I came to after searching for counter-rotating props for that engine.<br /><br />Could be a messed up shift linkage, I suppose. I know I messed mine up and could only shift into reverse. I don't know if it's possible on that engine to foul things up, but...

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

To avoid a lack of communication, standing in back of the engine, having it in forward gear, and facing the propeller......<br /><br />When cranking the engine, does the propshaft turn clockwise or counter clockwise?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

There were no counter rotating gearcases but in 1976 & newer the linkage shifted opposite from the earlier model 70's. <br /><br />The forward gear is still in the front of the gearcase on both units. One pulls the shift rod up for forward, the other pushes down for forward (to engage the same gear).<br /><br />You bought a unit from a 1976 or newer. No big deal. You just need the shift linkage off the later model powerhead.

mmcmille

Cadet

Oh, and to answer your question, with the engine running and in forward gear, the prop turns counter clockwise

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Yes the same control will work as well as the same prop. Just match the new lower to that years type linkage on the powerhead and it'll work. <br /><br />With old linkage on a newer unit, to make the prop spin forward (clockwise) youll be running on the reverse gear. It wont take the load of trying to push the boat forward very long.

mmcmille

Cadet

I called and he said it'd be easier to just get the right lower unit so we're swapping around. Those are some very friendly people over there. Thanks for telling me about them.

the rebel

Seaman

Originally posted by mmcmille:<br /> I called and he said it'd be easier to just get the right lower unit so we're swapping around. Those are some very friendly people over there. Thanks for telling me about them.
right on, don't you love it when everything comes together like that. BWJ

mmcmille

Cadet

yep, i got it saturday and put it on and it works great! On my control box, there is a knob. Is it for adjusting the rich/lean mixture? I don't know anything really about boats so if someone could help me out, that'd be great.