1996 Evinrude 225 Overheating

lashx

Recruit
I have a 1996 Evinrude 225 that overheats after 20 minutes of running hard. how hard is it to change the thermastats and is this the first thing to check? Thanks again for any suggestions

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Evinrude 225 Overheating

Welcome!!<br /><br />We assume that you mean the warning horn sounds, right?<br /><br />Does it go into SLOW (rpms are limited to about 2200) at the same time?

lashx

Recruit

The alarm does not go off the temp guage redlines un less I back off to 1500 to 2000 rpms.<br />I think the alarm works, because it beeps when I start up. It does not go off when the boat is redlning.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If the alarm is working and the motor does not go into SLOW then it probably isnt overheating. You can check it with a thermal gun or thermal melt sticks.

lashx

Recruit

Once this condition starts the engine looses power until it cools (by the guage reading anyway)down a bit. It is as if it jerks back and slows down by 20% or so.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If it starts jerking around and slows to about 2200 or so then it is indeed going into SLOW. Once it goes into SLOW the only way to reset it is to shut the motor off and restart it. <br /><br />If its been hot enough to slow down and didnt go into SLOW, its time to pull the heads. In any case youll want head gaskets, thermostats, and a complete water pump kit.

lashx

Recruit

thanks, I will take it to the shop or toss it

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

lashx, where are you on LI and what shop are you gonna take it to? Just want to know in case you do junk it, I might be interested in it as a project.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

A '96 Evinrude 225 should have the System Check warning guage with the 4 LED's that will show what kind of problem you are having.<br /><br />Like the venerable Hadley says, use a temp gun to find out what temp your engine is actually running at on each cylinder head. Your dash mounted temp gauge only reads one head, not the other, plus they are not known for accuracy.<br /><br />There are 2 different water pump kits for that motor depending on the shaft length. If mixed up, they can cause a 25" shaft motor to overheat at high speed. There is also a "blow off" valve on the back of your engine that should be inspectd. Then there are 2 thermostats located on the top of the cylinder heads that require periodic changing.