Replace shaft and shiftshaft 175hp lower unit

dgtal

Cadet
I just bought a boat with a Evinrude 1998 OceanPro 175hp 60 degrees 25" engine with a damaged lower unit. I located a good similar lower unit from same angine type with exception that it has a 20" shaft and shiftshaft. How dificult is to remove my 25" pieces and installed in this new lower unit?. There is any special procedure to follow? Is the Shiftshaft screwed in?, do I have to count turns?. Any help will be appreciated.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replace shaft and shiftshaft 175hp lower unit

Welcome!!<br /><br />Both should be 2 piece drive shafts. Just follow the service manual and it'll be real easy. Pull the upper D/S out of your existing unit and stick it in the replacement unit. You dont have to take the unit apart. <br /><br />Yes, the shift shaft screws in. Its set at a certian height as listed in your service manual.

dgtal

Cadet

Dhadley, thank you, you are great help

angus63

Captain

Be carefull !!! <br />Check to make sure the driveshaft from the replacement LU is from a 1994 or later motor. Prior to that the drive shafts were appx 5/16" longer and can wreek havoc on your upper main bearing. Take it from experience!<br />Good luck

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

We should be OK. If I understand it correctly, both gearcases have 2 piece shafts ("good similar lower unit from same engine type"). The replacement has the upper shaft for a 20" mid section. We need to remove that and plug in the upper shaft removed from the damaged unit. <br /><br />Basically we're using the same upper shaft that was there before.

dgtal

Cadet

Angus and Dhadley, copied your messages, thanks for the input, I have another question. Are those Seloc Manuals from West Marine any good?<br />I will appreciate your help

dgtal

Cadet

And that is correct Dhad, the shaft from the damaged LU is a 25" one, which is the final useful shaft for the engine. In addition, I decided to overhaul the whole unit myself if the service manual has the right information. The only difficult task is a hole at front of the torpedo which I'm going to send to a welding shop to be repaired

dgtal

Cadet

it is a hole/dent combined. It looks like somebody hit it with a fork lift;) It lost all the oil. I already disassembled the gearcase from the prop in. So far it only has some corrotion from salty water, not gear teeth missing. Will keep you posted. P.D: Now I need the service manual, I got stuck, don't know how to remove the rest of the parts;)