prop seal leak ??

slamer12

Seaman
i noticed that there was some fliud leaking out of my prop is that telling you that the seal need to be changed ? or is it normal for alittle seapage? ...

medic2051

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: prop seal leak ??

Unburnt oil does come out through the prop housing exhaust (normally) What does the fluid look like? Also, remove lower oil plug and look at quality of the fluid that comes out. If a small amount of water is mixed in, oil turns milky.

slamer12

Seaman

Its unburnt it's coming out where the seem is where the prop meets the lower unit i checked oil and no water is this ok you think ?

medic2051

Petty Officer 2nd Class

does it look like lower unit oil? (amber translucent oil)

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Also, what does it smell like. The gear oil generally has that distinctive "hypoid" smell while 2 stroke oil is almost scentless.

Strauser24

Seaman Apprentice

i ahve been told that that would be unburnt fuel and oil, is it black? does it kinda smell like exhust? if so it is unburnt oil/fuel.

slamer12

Seaman

yeah its unburnt fuel and oil should it be leaking out of the prop ?

Paul Moir

Admiral

Yup - perfectly normal. It will be most noticeable if the engine was idling a long time before it was shut down.<br />The fuel/oil is actually leaking out of the exhaust chamber. The exhaust goes through the prop.

slamer12

Seaman

ok i didnt know if that was normal we havent got that boat started yet but its coming out still ?

Strauser24

Seaman Apprentice

mine did the same thing when i got it, and after i took it out on the lake it hasn't done it since. i would still check and replace the lower end oil. if you haven't done it yet.