fuel

rwcreigh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hello,i was out today with a buddy in his boat .when we went home and cleaned up his boat while he was flushing whe motor with fresh water he disconnected the fuel.i told him that was not the best thing to do because the engine runs fast as it runs out of fuel and has very little oil in the engine.he disagreed.am i wrong? thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: fuel

Youll get a ton of opinions on this but I agree with you. Its not really helping anything and could hurt. <br /><br />The carb will never be actually run "dry". The film of gas left in there will go bad (turn to gum or varnish) much quicker than a bowl full will.<br /><br />However, as youll see, whatever works for him is exactly what he should do. Youre going to get "thats the only correct way" and "thats the wrong way" responses. <br /><br />I still agree with you.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Oh -- we're assuming we're talking 2 stroke carb'd non oil injected motors in this context.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

I also agree with you richard, and if Dhadley agrees then it's probably a safe bet that it's the right way. My father used always do this, and it always seemed pointless to me. As well as the lack of oil, it is essentialy a lean condition when the fuel starts to run out, which is why it runs faster, not that it's really enough to cause much harm, but now you are combining a lean condition and inadiquate lubrication. More than likely your not going to hurt anything, but you could slightly and why take the chance, nothing is going to happen to your carbs by leaving the fuel in there and as Dhadley said it's gonna be easier for less fuel to evaporate and leave gum and varnish. I leave my carbs full of fuel for the entire winter, at least 3 1/2 months, with stabilzed fuel and it's always fine, if he's doing this everytime and then using the boat in a couple of days, it is really pointless and eventually he'll hurt something.<br /><br />Sometimes you can't tell people what to do with their own stuff, even if it is the right way. I have a friend that refuses to believe that he needs to decarb or do a waterpump on a 5 year old engine that he's had since new and never done, just because he says he has never done it before. ?? Ah whata ya gonna do? Good Luck.