Best Service Manuals???

grover777

Seaman Apprentice
I am a novice looking to do some work on my 1959 Johnson Super Seahorse 50hp. <br /><br />What service manuals are better for a beginner?? I know there are several brands out there.<br /><br />Thanks a lot!!<br /><br />Daron <br />Mahomet, IL

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Best Service Manuals???

Model specific OMC Factory Manuals. Get the set: Owners, Service and Parts.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Agree. The factory manuals are much more specific and thorough. Easier to follow in doing a job.

DHPMARINE

Captain

I usually support the factory manual,but for a 1959 model,I would go Clymers.<br />DHP

grover777

Seaman Apprentice

DHPMARINE:<br /><br />What makes you recommend Clyners over a factory reprint? Just want to know all the pros and cons before buying one.<br /><br />Thanks!<br />Daron

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I prefer the Seloc manual mostly because it assumes that you know absolutely nothing and guides you through complicated repairs and services with a lot of help and patience.It is almost as if the authors,Mr Coles and his wife, stand right next to you and help you along.<br />But there are a lot of people who do prefer the manuals that presume, you have some mechanical experience and are written with that presumption in mind.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I would say one thing about the generic manuals, they do at times tell you how to get around having to have "special tools". I have found that helpful on occasion. But I still prefer the OEM manuals for their "specific model" info.

blgrams

Seaman Apprentice

factory manuals parts/owners/service absolutely especially for the wiring diagrams. If you decide to go with the aftermarket manual (clymers/seloc)at least get the parts manual. by itself it is worth it's weight in gold showing a drawing of the assembly of each section as an exploded view.

alcan

Commander

Everyone here has valid points. It only makes sence the more info you have the the better the odds of sucess. A manual is just a tool just like the others in your box. No matter how good the tool if you don't know how to use it it is worthless. Which ever book you eventually choose, take quite time, away from the shop and read it, study it and read it again. Sure some stuff you will not understand. But once you begin to work it sort of falls into perspective. Personaly, for the beginner I vote for the after market Seloc or Clymer after markets. Main reason, you get so much more info for the buck. Since these books cover many models over many years, you will still be able to use your manual long after the motor you bought it to fix is gone. Of corse at first you will have more info than you'll know what to do with. Just get a book any book.