disconnect oil injection????

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I am in the process of replacing my 82 115hp with a 96 150 ocean pro with oil injection.I prefer mixing the fuel my self.Do I have to do anything special if I choose not to use the oil injection????Charlie

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: disconnect oil injection????

crazy charlie...<br />As far as I've seen posted here,just disconnect the oil line and plug the line at the engine.(so you don't pump in any dirt).<br />Anyone can do as they please,but why do you want to disconnect such a good system?<br />Hope I didn't just pull the roof down on my head,but I have seen very little problems with the oil injection on Johnson/Evinrudes.<br />DHP

james roach

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK I'll take the other side of this. The unit is 8 years old now. Disconnect it and forget it. One less thing to maintain and if it's getting gas you know it's getting oil. I have always had a problem with a system that pumped oil from the floor all the way up to the engine. Add 1/2 gallon of oil and 25 gallons of gas and enjoy. I fish up to 30-40 miles offshore on a single 200 hp outboard. If it is getting gas then I dont have to worry about oil. I can troll all day and take right off without problems. I've found that my motor does not leave a smoke screen either. This is an age old question so good luck.<br /><br />James

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I know it is a good system but quite frankly I would prefer to depend on ME before I depend on anything else.I know there have been instances where they have failed and where they have not pumped the proper amount of oil.I have mixed my fuel for about 30 years now and in all those years the only mistake I can remember making was forgetting to unscrew the vent screw on a portable tank one time and it crumbled.$20 mistake.Since I have no experience with the system it would be in the back of my mind everytime I use the boat.Charlie

ob

Admiral

Charlie,To answer your first question,Yes there are a few things you need to do before just mixing at 50:1 if that is your intention.<br /><br />1 - disconnect the oil feed line nearest the vro pump and plug it off securely.This will keep the oil half of the pump from injesting air.<br />2 - Either comletely remove the oil reservoir and hose from the boat or plug off the oil hose from it to the engine.<br />3 - Follow the wire harness from the vro pump to the amphenol connector and unplug the connector and secure both ends so that they are not swinging loose in the engine compartment.This will disable the vro alarms.<br />4 - If oil reservoir is in boat presently,trace the low level reservoir alarm wires to the engine compartment and unplug the connectors and secure the loose ends.<br />5 - Mix fuel and oil at 50:1 in the fuel tank .<br />6- Disconnect the fuel inlet line near the vro pump and route its end into a suitable clear container . Pump the primer bulb until a color indication of the oil you mixed with the fuel is present.This will assure that premix is available to the inlet of the vro pump at initial startup.Reconnect the fuel line.<br />7 - Always a good idea after this procedure to audible check the overtemp alarm circuit for operation.Locate the two overtemp sensors on the engine block and each one will have a tan/blue or just a tan wire.With the key in the "on" position(engine not running) ground each of the tan wires(one at a time) by backprobing them or touching their connectors to a suitable ground on the engine.Overtemp alarm should sound.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Thanks Ob,I thought there would be more to it than just plugging a line or two.Charlie