Seadrive powerhead compatibility

BrianTindall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all. First posting here so bear with me! I did the search and found some good info but not exactly what I was looking for, so help is needed. Here is what I have: 1988 3.0l Seadrive with a new powerhead (less than 100 hrs) removed from boat, 1988 Johnson 225 ( 3yr old powerhead with 90 psi all around and possible problems) going on my boat with a bracket, and a 1984 2.6l Seadrive (less than 400 hrs) which I see will not work with the newer motors. I'd like to put the 3.0l seadrive ph on the Johnson frame, info indicates this is possible because both are "Loopers". Is this true and possible? What other parts would interchange? When I'm all done, the Seadrive parts will not be needed. Is there a market for them? Most of the parts are in pretty good shape.

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Seadrive powerhead compatibility

Wellll.. Where are you at in NJ?<br /><br />Give an email at kameika@yahoo.com -- Depending on what you have on that seadrive bracket; I may be in the market for some spare parts. <br /><br />(I have a good Seadrive 2.6L, but could perhaps use parts. )<br /><br /> :) <br /><br />Ken

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Welcome!<br /><br />You are correct. The 1988 225 and the 3.0 Sea Drive powerheads are the same. The 2.6 is a crossflow and is very different.<br /><br />Whats wrong with the 225? All cylinders at 90 indicates it is basically OK. <br /><br />Good luck!

BrianTindall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guys, thanks for the replies. I have MOST of the Seadrive parts for the 2.6l. As for the J225, it was dropping cylinders. After much reading here, I think I'll clean the carbs or use the others off the 3.0l Seadrive. I think this is a much better way to go than swithing powerheads. I will also have the electrics to change out if need be.

BrianTindall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would probably be interested in selling the 2.6l model since it is not compatible with anything I have. I had no idea that the '84 and '88 were so different when I picked it up.

BrianTindall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After doing some reading (not a good thing for me!), can the 1988 J225 have a compression boost some how? Maybe a head change or shave? Is it even worth it? Since this is a low compression engine, I thought a boost might help some. If there are mods that can be done without power head removal, that would be great.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Why are you looking for a power boost on a motor youve never run? Keep in mind that this is a two stroke with real good torque. Dont confuse low static compression with low power.<br /><br />I would get the bracket on and get the motor mounted and running.

BrianTindall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Basicly I was just wondering if it was a possibilty. You know, did it produce positive results, was it worth the time, etc. Now here's another question! Will the transom bracket assembly from a 1991 200/225 V6 work on a 1984 2.6l Seadrive. I want to convert my other unit to a standard outboard. I feel it would be more sellable that way. If not, I may buy it anyway just to convert the 3.0l and have a complete spare engine! My parents were just up your way last week at a sewing machine dealer. They live in Fort Myers.