Trying to diagnose no fire on a 1992 155hp V-6

Seacraft

Cadet
I've disconneted the wiring harness to elimate the key switch and kill circuts, but still have no fire. I installed a new CDI stator because the old one has melted down. What should be the next step I take? I have a set of 1997 OMC service manuals, but they are no help with the cross flow V-6. Sure would be nice to have the correct trouble shooting procedures for this motor.<br /><br />Thanks to anyone that can help.

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Trying to diagnose no fire on a 1992 155hp V-6

If it is a 35 amp charging system, almost same ignition as 1997 200/225, except for system check sensor wires. If it is 9 amp system close to 97 V4 crossflow, except has 2 more cylinders,and 2 charge coils.

Seacraft

Cadet

Thanks for the information. I was able to do a little more checking last night and atleast was able to get spark on some of the cylinders. I ended up disconnecting the black and yellow wires directly at the power pack. After that I had spark on 5 clylinders. By the time I re-checked each cylinder the spark was weak on a couple of cylinders and I had lost spark from a couple of others. Kinda strange. I must have a short in the wiring harness somewhere. I believe, based on the what can tell from the service manual, I also have a bad power pack.

clanton

Rear Admiral

If is is 35 amp system with Quick Start, a cold engine will only make a spark from the starting sensors. Run timing sensors make spark after engine up to temp. Could be stator or pack.