1968 Evinrude 55HP wiring help needed

wenzel

Cadet
I was recently given a 1965 evinrude 14ft sport with a 1968 55hp evinrude motor. This motor was suposibly running the last time it was taken out. (2yrs ago) The wiring harness was completely corroded away. I did manage to make a new harness with some help from my father-in-law, but the problem is not all of the wires were complete because of the corosion.I'm trying to get a wiring diagram for the motor.It has to be cheap. cann't justify with the wife on bying the mannual if the motor is not running. Go figure. If I can get it to crank i would be able to talk her into it. Otherwise the boat has to go.It is the first boat i have had other than jon boats. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Wenzel

wenzel

Cadet
Re: 1968 Evinrude 55HP wiring help needed

please someone be my savior. I don't want to have to get rid of this boat.

glenclove

Cadet

It's time to trade in the wife for a new boat!!

wenzel

Cadet

Not likly it would cost to much to trade her in. LOL

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

That boat should really run with that motor on it. My 15'Silverline Rambler runabout with '68 Johnson 55 is great. Hopefully you don't have that silly hydro-electric shift that I have though (I don't think you do). If yours is electric or manual shift it will probably be worth keeping so long as no serious internal flaws are present. Been there and done that as far as the wiring. Do it right and it will be there when you need it most. I'd get rid of all the old wiring you can if it is the least bit dry or brittle.

wenzel

Cadet

Ihave taken off all old brittle wiring and trying to put it back together today. I have heard that this would be a good little boat. It does have an electric shift, hopefully it is working fine.