My Johnson is busted, cant get into gear ... any ideas?

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander
A very long day comes to a close ... I got the 1964 40 horse Super Sea Horse ... and it turns out that wehn it "crapped out" it had gone out of gear, still running great but wouldnt go back into gear ... THEN it wouldnt start, spun but wouldnt start.<br /><br />I havent found my manual so I dont know a lot about this motor YET, but its a pretty sophisticated old timer, it has electric start and a charging circuit, and what looks to be a thermostatically controlled auto choke, with all this its possible there is a neutral only start intterupt, like a neutral safely switch on a car - but wouldnt that intterupt the starter or just the spark<br /><br />the shift lever ddoesnt do anything, the prop feels loose, moves laterally<br /><br />Ill check tomorrow for grinding, etc, but compression seemed ok<br /><br />more tomorrow :rolleyes:

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: My Johnson is busted, cant get into gear ... any ideas?

This motor has a shear pin in the prop. They used to shear for very little reason,and owners carried a box of pins with them.I'll bet a fishin lure this pin has sheared. It could be the gearbox, but they were so protected by the weakest shear pin in history, that it is rare.<br /><br />Remove the prop, and punch-out the old pin. When you do, it will probably come-out in three pieces.<br /><br />And you're right, they are little jewels, IMHO.<br />They must've sold a jillion of them because they are still everywhere down here (fl).

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

The shift lever itself feelis like it has no connections inside, no click click of the gears snicking in and out of gear ... I hear a thunk in the lower unit like the shift rod hitting something, but no gear sound<br /><br />today was a lost day boat wise ... now that the mother in law has gone,(sweet lady, I truly enjoyed her visit despite being exiled for the duration, and do eagerly await her return in ... oh .... 2008 or so, lol) the one woman sixties revival and I had a (damn, JB is going to reading these ... ) ah errr, a reunion, lol, with the one girl wet blanket parade constantly knocking on the door, OMG, WHAT are you two DOING in there, arent you ever coming out here?? LOL, ah the joys of instant daddy hood, sheesh ... Im going to tell her how GREAT The University of Hawaii is, lol ...maybe shell be accepted in ... <br /><br />then a BBQ so TOMORROW ill go to delaware in the heat and lighting and attack those wasps infesting my van :eek: so I can get inside and find my manual and the lower unit for the 59 35 horse Johnson - Im pretty sure it covered all the way up to 72, which will also cover the 125 Johnson, but one motor at a time<br /><br />all in all, a great weekend. naturally, now that I have most of the inside work done and its finally time for MY stuff, the temp is going into the low nineties :eek: <br /><br />but ... thats life<br /><br />anyone ever hear of the motor kicking out of gear and then feeling like its disconnected? :confused: <br /><br />gotta get that manual out of there!

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

hey Jason, any ideas on whats the best for yellow jackets?<br /><br /> :p

mrc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A shop vac full of moth balls, leave it running for<br />about an hour, nozzel close to nest entrance then<br />turn it off and plug up the hoze for a couple of days. Shake shopvac after two days if no buzzing<br />can be heard, open it up and empty em out.<br /><br />Good luck,<br />Mike

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

latest update - found some parts in the van, after not getting stung but not getting RID of the little bastids either ...<br /><br />no manual, dont know where they are, had clymer and seloc, dont know who I could have lent them too, didnt know anyone that had boats back then, oh well, amazon here I come<br /><br />this blazing heat is screwing me up, still, Ive procured a work bench and stool for out in the new garage, its a solid maple trestle table (needs to be glued and screwed) someone was throwing out, hey, Ill fix motors on that in style, lol<br /><br />so far so good ... still have to find out if that 1960 Johnson is compatible with my 66 as far as the water pump tubes are concerned<br /><br />if so, another road trip!<br /><br /> :cool:

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Gee CR..I really like hearing you type. You got some neat ways of expressing yer self. Anyways...Don't know for sure cause I don't have my manual with me and I ain't runnin to the shop tonight to get one...some of the older shakers had a start in neutral switch connected to the ground side of the starter solenoid. There maybe, only maybe mind you, a switch just under the flywheel. Not under under the flywheel but under it on the outside of it. That make sense?? Worked off a cam attched to the mag plate.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Jim<br />Im trying to cut down on the length of my posts, the resident OMC guru told me my posts were too long, and my signature used up too much bandwidth, and I jump from thing to thing to thing, lol, I do tend to hold people spielbound ... but this is exactly what he is talking about, I go on and on <br /><br /> but see, here is the thing, I feel that the lower unit is shot, there is absolutely nothing happening when I click the shifter, and its a 66 40 horse motor, not a 64 as I was originally told<br /><br />the PARTS motor I can get is a 1960 40 horse, and apparently the only difference (according to Joe Reeves) is that the water pumps differ between one tubers and two tubers ... otherwise the lower units are the same, bolt right up (driveshafts vary by 1/8 of an inch, but Im using the drive shaft that came with it, so its not a problem)<br /><br />and so the hang up ... if the 66 and 60 lower units have the same water pump set up, Im golden, go get the other motor and start swapping, once my replacement manuals arrive ... would your manuals show that?<br /><br />I need to know, cuz the One Woman Ego Crushing Parade put suntan lotion ON MY HEAD, lol, apparently a bald spot is forming where I keep tearing my hair out!<br /><br />ah well, wigs come later ... <br /><br />thanks Jim!<br /><br /> :cool:

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

he mentioned something about detents too ... <br /><br /> Ray.... The lower units will interchange as long as the water pump setup is the same (two tube), but pay special attention to the driveshaft lengths. Some of those shafts will differ by only 1/8" or so. If you attempt to use the longer length shaft in a engine that normally uses the 1/8" shorter shaft, that will exert excessive pressure between the powerhead and the lower unit, resulting in a binding action.<br /><br />The eariler models did not incorporate the propshaft and clutch dog spring loaded detent setup, however they may be interchanged from one unit to the other also. Note that the clutch dog must be set up for the detent.... the eariler dogs will not work!<br /><br />doesnt the clutch dog go down in the lower unit? he lost me on that one, I had hoped to figure it out, but I cant ... do you know what hes talking about?<br /><br />here is why I am knocking down the verbiage in the posts :<br /><br />Now, notice in the above that my reply pertained to your problem and you did not need to read through any other distracting info that had nothing to do with the problem.<br /><br />No offense or adverse reflections intended, but your posts include so much unrelated info that I have avoided getting involved prior to this as I did not desire to read through a lengthly post that included unrelated type, including that long drawn out signature.<br /><br />Best to use the K.I.S.S. method (Keep It Simple Stupid).... again no offense intended (that's simply what it's called) and I hope sincerely that you are not offended.<br /><br />Formerly from Millville, NJ.<br /><br />I wanted to tell him that was IN the old drawn out signature, Keep It Simple ... Sailor!<br />Naturally, I kept it in the new one, lol, Ive been saying that for thirty years!

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

::hummin::<br /><br />oh where oh where has outboard jim gone, where oh where can he be????<br /><br />shame I cant sing, lol<br /><br />at least I can tuna fish!