81 Evinrude 35hp kicks at higher speeds....

vmaxed

Cadet
Idles great, have plenty of power on throttle, but will kick erraticly when running at higher speeds.Any ideas? Thanxs.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: 81 Evinrude 35hp kicks at higher speeds....

kick? Is it jumping on the transom?<br />Is it missfiring? Ot does it simply rev high,and go nowhere,only to catch and kick a moment later?

vmaxed

Cadet

I would have to say jumping on the transom, it doesn't sound like misfiring, it seems more when you first throttle up, then intermittantly after that 20-40 seconds. I really didn't want to keep going, due to damaging something. But low throttle it ran fine. (1/4 throttle less)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like maybe shift dogs are shot.

vmaxed

Cadet

well...that don't sound good. I take it to be quite a job. Looking at the manual, looks pretty tough. The whole lower unit needs to come off..just to inspect it.????

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

The job requires the lower unit be partially disassembled. I've seen several of these over the years, typically the shifter (clutch-dogs) wear out due to improper shifting. It's about a 3.5 hour job total (this doesn't count for any salt-water/corossion issues). There is a severe-duty gearset which pretty much eliminates this from happening in the future (p/n 387268), but it's pricey. The stock clutch dog and forward gear are probably around $200.<br /><br />-John

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

guess I would want to rule out fuel or ignition problems first. When a motor coughs at high revs it can sound and feel like it's bouncing around (and it probably is some). But maybe it's running too lean and is starved for fuel when you are really pushing it. Maybe it's worth another look. You might be able to solve the problem with a carb adjustment.

vmaxed

Cadet

well that could be possible. I messed around with the lean\rich knob 1st time out (before finding out that my power pack was shot and only running on one plug) I had turned every which way. Couple turns back then foward ??? (forgetting were it actually was) Wasn't getting any respose from it. How do adjust it once it's been messed up?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

don't have a manual to cover that one (at least I think I don't), so maybe someone can jump in with the initial settings. A pretty good guess would be 1 and 1/4 open (counterclockwise) for the slow speed needle, and 3/4 open for the high speed. Start by closing (gently seating) the needles by turning them all the way to the closed position (clockwise). <br /><br />hope it's a simple fix. Let us know.

vmaxed

Cadet

OK I tried the adjustment on the lean/rich..I backed it down till it stopped, then 1 1/2 turns counter clockwise. I took the boat on the lake today for a run, she still kicks the same. I slowly turned the rich/lean clockwise but no difference. I do know that the motor skips every ten seconds on wide open throttle, and the slower you go, the less it skips. (1/4 throttle maybe skips once every 45 seconds or so.) Any more suggestions :confused: ? Could it be timing? Or clutch dogs?

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi, <br /><br />I had the same problem on my 79 model 35 and it ended up being a misadjusted shifter linkage. If the clutch dogs are only partially engaging it will seem as if they are bad and your description of the slipping less at lower throttle is the exact thing that happened to me. Check your linkages and the shift locker before you tear into the lower unit. You might be lucky like me and not have to spend any money. :) <br /><br />Good Luck,<br /><br />James

vmaxed

Cadet

Sounds good, I hope. What exactly am I checking for with the shift locker? This is the shift rod adjuster that is inside the water intake window right?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

vmaxed -- sorry I missed your return post. Sorry also that the carb adjustment didn't solve the problem. If you are hearing a cough or sneeze, as a lot of us refer to it, the engine isn't getting enough fuel (i.e., running lean). If you have two adjustment needles, it's probably the high speed needle you will need to adjust, and the adjustment is counterclockwise to make the mixture richer. You may also have a partially clogged jet (can try to clean by taking the needle all the way out, then carefully inserting a fine wire -- doesn't hurt to spray carb cleaner in there as well.) But without hearing the sound it's making, it is hard to guess on this end what the cause might be. <br /><br />If you get much beyond mixture adjustments, you really need a manual in front of you -- certainly if you are going to get into the gearcase.<br /><br />Hey -- I hope you make some progress....

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

Vmaxed,<br /><br />I'm not 100% sure as to the type of shift locker you would have. It really is more of an assist to keep the engine from popping out of gear. The adjustment behind the window is where you adjust the shifting linkage. I'm not too sure what kind you would have but on my '79 it was a flat rod about 8 inches long mounted to the starboard (right) side of the powerhead. It has a spring on the top part of it and their is a neutral safety switch behind it. There is a bolt in about the middle of the flat piece that it pivot on when you change gears. Also, on the underside of the powerhead part of the motor that you can see, there is a little guide that looks kinda like a zigzag type shape that holds the motor in or out of gear. There is another design for the locker but I'm not sure how it works. The linkage behind that window could also cause that problem if it isn't adjusted properly. I only have experience with my '79 model motor. They are pretty close in age but I don't know when the design changed. You definately shouldn't run it at all if the dogs aren't staying engaged. If you do, you might end up chipping a piece off of one of them and if it was to get between the gears at those high rpm's it could cause major havoc. The gears, gearcase, driveshaft, or powerhead could be severely damaged if not destroyed beyond repair. This issue needs to be solved asap to avoid more costly repairs. I don't mean to scare you just figured I would let you know the possibilities if it is used with this problem. You should get a manual for your motor. I prefer the Clymer's manuals myself. I would start with the less troublesome possibilities first then, if all else fails, go into the gearcase and check. I hope this helps you out a little more. Keep us posted. :) <br /><br />Good Luck,<br /><br />James<br /><br />PS: My problem was that the locker was completely missing. Also, make sure that you believe it to be the clutch dogs slipping and not a fuel or ignition problem before you tear into that thing.

G DANE

Commander

Hi Vmaxed<br /><br />It shouldnt be that hard to test if the clutch dog is worn: <br /><br />Let some else do the steering, if you have remote. Hold your hand on shiftlever, pres it firmly in forward while sailing and increasing throttle to the kick point. If you can feel at the shifting lever the motor try to force out of gear, right before and when it kicks, you have a bad clutch dog. If it doesnt kick, try to let lever go. PS. On models after 79 the shifting rod is assembled behind the waterintake cover, but no adjustment possibilities.