O.K. What do I check now????

Spur

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I took my 5.5 HP Johnson Seahorse out today finally. It ran really good and then just quit.<br /><br />I have freakin blisters fron the pull cord. She acts like she wants to start and stay started, but if I give it any gas at all shes dies. Total run time about 3 seconds. I can choke it, un choke it, half choke it, rich, lean whatever and the same dang thing happens.<br /><br />There are no kinks in the hose, fresh fuel, good spark, and the plugs aint fouling or overly clean.<br /><br />I was pumped flying down the river for about ten nminutes till she quit. A little more background...<br />Its a 1959 model CD-16 that I got from a friend who had it sat up for about 6 years. Super clean and good compression. Perfect for what I ned it for but I still have to get her running. It ran fine in the horse trough.<br /><br />Thanks for the ideas in advance

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: O.K. What do I check now????

Remove the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb,and pull it thru. Gas should pump out in a pulse.Amount is not really critical yet,but it should not just dribble.<br />If none or a dribble, the pump is iether not pumping, or not getting anything to pump.<br />Usually, when an engine sits up for a long time, the carb and fuel pump will varnish up.<br />It doesn't take a full bowl of fuel to do this. Even a small amount of fuel in the lines,carb, or tank, plus 6 months to a year's time, and you have varnish. It plugs-up jets,ports, causes float needle to stick open, and causes fuel pump check valves to stick,as if coated with ..Well, varnish,and allowed to dry.<br />So you should concentrate your efforts on the entire fuel system,from the tank to the reeds.<br />Another way to confirm it is a fuel-related problem, put some fuel mix in a spray bottle, and spray some into the carb and pull thru. It should sputter or run. You can sometimes actually keep it running by continuing to spray gas in it.<br />If this doesn't do this, you may have a coil breaking down when it gets warm. However, if it ran ok before it was stored, it should be ok after,unless it got wet often.

Bear

Lieutenant Commander

Ten minutes? Sounds like no gas cap ventilation. Vac*um in the gas tank. <br />Try with the gas cap off.<br /><br />What do the primer bulb look like after ten minutes? Soft or all flat?<br /><br />It can also be a stuck float valve in the carb.<br /><br />Let us know.<br /><br />/Bear

petryshyn

Commander

Does this engine have a fuel pump, or is it a pressurized tank. If there are 2 lines going to tank, it has no fuel pump. If it has no fuel pump, be sure to have filler cap tight. I have a similiar motor. <br /><br />See if it runs with WD-40. If it doesn't, then pull flywheel and inspect points and coils. If the coils appear cracked up, replace em.<br /><br />If it dies run with WD-40, pull the sediment bowl off the bottom of the carb and press primer on tank. Does fuel come out? If it does, reinstall bowl and try again. Be sure cap is tight and primer is working.

Spur

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I know that the vent was open on the gas tank.<br /><br />I dont have a pressurized tank, am I suppose to have one for this year model??? If it has a fuel pump is it the flat rubber diaphram that is behind the screen that appears to be a type of fuel filter?<br /><br />Somebody told me that a hole could be in the rubber "fuel pump". I dont think this has a fuel pump per say, I think it is a diaphram type deal.<br /><br />If I did need a presurized tank, which Im not sure I do, why would it run in a horse trough and why would it give me 10 minutes of bliss with now problems and then crap out?<br /><br />Its sat up for 6 years, not 6 months. I will rebuild the carb when my manual gets here. I hope that will be somewhat easy.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

They are not difficult. They are about as complicated as a lawnmower carb.Not much difference really. and, yes, that rubber diaphram is the fuel pump,and is intregal to the carb,probably. It is operated by engine compression.

G DANE

Commander

Spur, you need to do some testing.<br />Try to squese the primer bulb as many times you can ( dont use all your power ! ) till you feel resistance and try if it starts. If it does, you tank builds up vacuum ( try with cap off but caution ! ) or fuel pump will not function. If it doesnt, and you feel you primed fuel enough to fill bowl in carbureator, you have a blocking in carb jets or passages somewhere. Are the plugs wet or almost dry when not starting ? It could be flooding too, but plugs will be very wet then. It does not require pressurized tank. The fuel pump diaprame is longer in the pump than the filter, pump must be disasembled by removing all 4 screws.