Can't remove 5.7 vertically.

SWRA

Cadet
On my 2006 Tahoe 222 deck boat, I need to pull the 5.7 Mercruiser, but it is housed down and into the hull, almost like they built the top half of the boat after engine installation. It needs to come forward then up and forward some more. I'm thinking about a counterweighted beam to reach in there and pull out with the crane. Anybody have a better/simpler method?

SWRA

Cadet
This is the view from above. I removed as much stuff as possible and pulled out the battery and stern hydraulic unit to make room to come forward.

Attachments

• C05C5E6C-3BAE-448C-B7B6-3EDFFC9F47F0.jpeg
    C05C5E6C-3BAE-448C-B7B6-3EDFFC9F47F0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 55

tpenfield

Staff member
Posting an additional picture or 2 may help with responses, but generally . . .

What ever lifting mechanism you are using . . .

Remove as much partitioning that may be around or forward of the engine as you can.
Raise the engine a fraction of an inch (or so) to take the weight off of the engine mounts.
Try to move the engine forward as far as you can or as far as needed.
Sometimes it is easier to move the boat backwards than move the engine forward at this point.
Continue to raise the engine out of the engine bay . . .

You may find a few YouTube videos to get some additional ideas.

tpenfield

Staff member
Based on seeing a few pictures from the Internet . . . I'd consider removing the engine hatch/rear seat assembly as it looks to be held on by a piano hinge that is visible from the top side of the boat.

alldodge

Staff member
Might be able to make a lifting device to lift and then slide out.

hook
xxxxxxxxxxxx
xx
xx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
motor

If there is not enough room when motor is lifted all the way up, going to need to cut the top off and re-glass back in when done

Scott06

Vice Admiral
This is the view from above. I removed as much stuff as possible and pulled out the battery and stern hydraulic unit to make room to come forward.
somebody has a sense of humor. Can you take a shot looking inside the engine compartment? How much height above the engine? Thinking a beam with a trolley on it slide engine forward then angle up like going over the core support pulling the engine out of a RWD car ?

Either that or Sawzall and re-glass, that sounds terrible but might be easier to make a couple cuts pull it and do some glass work

Bondo

Staff member
On my 2006 Tahoe 222 deck boat, I need to pull the 5.7 Mercruiser, but it is
2006-tahoe-deck-boat-merc-io-one-owner-10.jpg
housed down and into the hull, almost like they built the top half of the boat after engine installation. It needs to come forward then up and forward some more. I'm thinking about a counterweighted beam to reach in there and pull out with the crane. Anybody have a better/simpler method?
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Taking a lead from Ted, it appears the motorbox is removeable,......

This is an '06 boat like yer's with a 4.3l that is as accessible as you could ask for,.....
Look here

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
step 1 is remove the drive

then using a lifting C-frame,

1706820491689.png
lift the motor out.

SWRA

Cadet
Thank you guys for all the input. Yah, I’m really trying not to cut and fiberglass the area as it has reinforcing boards on the inside that are glassed and the outside is round and formed nicely. That C frame device method looks promising!

Attachments

• 06DAB63C-3837-48F1-8AFD-5BF36AA4290A.jpeg
    06DAB63C-3837-48F1-8AFD-5BF36AA4290A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
  • 1E0B608B-0763-45B6-81A3-F5C8A580C67B.jpeg
    1E0B608B-0763-45B6-81A3-F5C8A580C67B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30

tpenfield

Staff member
You should be able to get enough lift on the engine to get it slightly up off the mounts and then have it come forward enough to raise out of the boat.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
You should be able to get enough lift on the engine to get it slightly up off the mounts and then have it come forward enough to raise out of the boat.
Exactly same back in a little muscling around should come out ok

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
my maxum with 4.3 is like that , as posted > lift the motor from the mounts as high as you can > push the boat back ward , lift some more till it clears , in some places i have only mm space between the hull and motor to clear the hull > set it down on some support's in the hull , some 2x4s or something works for me.
relocate lifting crane and remove slings and swap to chains , lift motor strait up and push boat forward till you are clear of the transom "" avoid moving the crane with the motor high in the air as it can easily tip over "" move the boat instead..

you think getting it out is hard :) ,putting it back in is the fun part ..

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Whoever designed that engine bay should be flogged with spark plug wires.
Doesnt make it any easier for the OP, but if you have done rigging or industrial maintenance work its not an issue. In a perfect world yes the dog house would come off but 99 % of boat owners never have to remove the engine.

Last edited:

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
i like to take as much stuff out of the hull to make engine removal as simple as possible, it makes life so much when there is room all around the motor .

sometimes its easier than it looks to take the interior of a boat apart ,

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I only know of the C-hook because I watched motors going in on a few boats.

On some high-dollar boats, the deck comes off to pull the motors

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Whoever designed that engine bay should be flogged with spark plug wires.
and a serpentine belt
I'd never buy a boat set up like that, the designers disrespect us backyard mechanics.
it's not just about pulling the engine
how would you:
change the oil filter
replace a starter
replace the exhaust manifolds
or God Forbid
the steering actuator
if it were mine, and I had to keep it, that motor box is coming off and being made to hinge out of the way! and the side panels would be removeable as well
Engines mounted like that suffer from deferred maintenance because the boat "designers" disrespect mechanics.

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
how I made mine easier
2 piece removable rear seat
rear wood bulkheads come out with machine screws and wing nuts
big heavy bulkhead cut in half and put on hinges
I can take out one side or both
That Tahoe I'd take it to a 'glass shop and tell the guy what I wanted and just do it. And be done.

Attachments

• Setting dwell, idle and timing old school auto shop 101.JPG
    Setting dwell, idle and timing old school auto shop 101.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • engine access panel on hinges.jpg
    engine access panel on hinges.jpg
    798.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 88 fw engine bulkheads.jpg
    88 fw engine bulkheads.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 14

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
this is what my hull looks like when i do extensive work on or remove the motor , nothing at all in the way , yea , it takes some time to remove and re fit everything but well worth the effort as nothing gets dirty or damaged , and a clear run at the bilge.

Attachments

• WP_20220503_17_46_51_Pro.jpg
    WP_20220503_17_46_51_Pro.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, can you build a dolly to fit under the engine. Pry the engine up, shove the dolly under it and roll it forward until it clears the structure, and then pull with a cum-a-long and scaffold?

Of course, if you have a C frame lying around.....