TWIN 1994 VOLVO PENTA 8.2 OVERHEATING

Restoring a 1994 Sunseeker 31 Hawk with twin fresh water cooled 8.2 502's. pushing DPXR drives, Both motors are overheating.

New Raw water pumps, heat exchangers, risers and manifolds, antifreeze, plugs and rebuilt drives. What's next? Any help? Testing ideas etc? Head gaskets?

alldodge

Staff member
More info???
Brand new installs and is boat in the water or on a hose?
Hose connections going to pumps are correctly?

Post some pics of the setup

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Are you running in the water or on muffs?

Who's freshwater cooling system?

F5B-9 or F6B-9 raw water pump?

Stock drive plumbing or seacocks?

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
I started but did not finish. Anyway my questions would be what others have already asked. In the water or on muffs or maybe the flush port if the engine has one? With both engines overheating it's likely to be the water supply. If on muffs while the engine is running is the garden hose round or sucked flat (not enough water).

Get an IR temp gun to get a reading on the engine, exhaust manifold and exhaust elbow. Both sides of both engines.

Is a good idea to get a baseline reading of the exhaust manifold and exhaust elbow temps after replacement to see how it's performing year to year. Write it down in general boat notes to keep

More info???
Brand new installs and is boat in the water or on a hose?
Hose connections going to pumps are correctly?

Post some pics of the setup
The boat is in the water and these motors are not new installs just the manifolds, the risers, the heat exchangers, the transom assemblies and the raw water pump as well as the front circulating pump. I recently took out the thermostats and the port side ran at 165 but the starboard side still boiled. A compression test revealed low compression of 120, 120, 130, 140, 140, 150 , 150 and 155. No water on plugs, no antifreeze in oil. The IR gun only showed 199-225 at the thermostat housing but 160 at risers.

Are you running in the water or on muffs?

Who's freshwater cooling system?

F5B-9 or F6B-9 raw water pump?

Stock drive plumbing or seacocks?
The plumbing is stock fed from the dpxr drives. I was considering seacocks and strainer for next year but will it help?

Attachments

• Volvo Penta Raw Water Sea Pump 3858847 with 6.5 Pulley.png
    Volvo Penta Raw Water Sea Pump 3858847 with 6.5 Pulley.png
    454.7 KB · Views: 1

Bondo

Staff member
The boat is in the water and these motors are not new installs just the manifolds, the risers, the heat exchangers, the transom assemblies and the raw water pump as well as the front circulating pump. I recently took out the thermostats and the port side ran at 165 but the starboard side still boiled. A compression test revealed low compression of 120, 120, 130, 140, 140, 150 , 150 and 155. No water on plugs, no antifreeze in oil. The IR gun only showed 199-225 at the thermostat housing but 160 at risers.
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Addin' heat exchangers to anything but brand new motors, is a bad idea,.....

The rust, 'n sediments in the blocks, can, 'n does plug up the passages in the side of the exchangers you can't clean out,....

Donno that, that is yer problem, but it can be,....

alldodge

Staff member
Get a short piece of clear hose from the hardware store, couple clamps and double barbed fitting. Hose should be 1.25 inch inside diameter

Remove the hose coming from the raw water pump at the thermostat and place the clear hose between hose and thermostat housing. Run the motor and look for bubbles. If you get bubbles there is a leak between drive and housing

Reactions: muc

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
What is the right gasket? The standard one that comes with the risers no?
If it's full closed cooling then the gasket between the exhaust manifold and riser blocks any cooling water flowing. If it is RWC then the gasket will allow water to flow between the exhaust manifold and riser. I have also seen where the proper gasket was used for RWC but too much black Permatex was used and it blocks the water flowing.

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
There are different thermostats for FWC and RWC engines. People have been known to install thermostats upside down.