Lean Popping on Accleration

Hi, I have a 2005 Volvo Penta GXI-E. My motor recently started popping on acceleration. about 3000 rpms it pops or misfires, and I lose speed. After about a half an hour the popping stops and the boat runs perfect for the rest of the day. I had the injectors cleaned, fuel rail cleaned. Changed the fuel pump, pressure regulator, ECT, MAP, IAC, Rotor and cap, and coil, anti-syphon valve. I don't know what else to do. I can't travel as fast as everyone I'm with until the popping stops. Any ideas? This has me confused as to why the boat runs fine after the popping stops.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

measure your fuel pressure and compare it to the specs in the service manual.

kenny nunez

Captain
Sometimes spark plugs will act like that. You may have an exhaust manifold that is leaking internally. Before you start the engine after it has sat for some time remove the spark plugs and look for moisture.

Sometimes spark plugs will act like that. You may have an exhaust manifold that is leaking internally. Before you start the engine after it has sat for some time remove the spark plugs and look for moisture.
I just replaced the exhaust manifold and risers last year. All my spark plugs look great. The spark plugs don't tell the story of a lean or rich condition. I noticed my temp gauge reading about 150-155 which I believe is cold. I am going to pull the thermostat and make sure it's seated correctly.

alldodge

Staff member
Most Temp gauges are not that accurate. If you have a 160 thermostat then your good

I have a volvo penta 5.0 GXI-E 2005. My engine keeps popping on acceleration about 3200 RPM's. Immediately after accelerating it runs great then 5 seconds later it will pop and sputter and I lose speed. Testing fuel pressure at the rail is 44 psi, down to 42 or so when the poping starts. My pressure should be between 50 and 60psi. I replaced the fuel pump, same issue. I replaced the injectors, cleaned the rail ect, put in a new fuel line to the pump. Any other ideas? Could it be the ECM is calling for enough fuel?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Could it be the ECM is calling for enough fuel?

The ecm controls injector pulse width based on engine load and rpm. Fuel pressure is a fixed value the ecm assumes is constant and has been programmed to control pulse width based on the assumption. Some ecms do measure fuel pressure, unsure if volvo uses a fuel pressure sensor though. My guess would be if it did it may set a fault based on value readings

Based on what you've done thus far i would focus on fuel delivery to the pump. Fuel filter(s), anti siphon valve, fuel tank pickup, and fuel quality. May want to inspect the fuel pressure regulator as well

A vacuum test of the fuel system can tell you a lot, you want to see no more than 4 in/hg. If 4 or more there is a restriction somewhere before the fuel pump

Bondo

Staff member
Merged threads,..... As AD said, don't keep starting threads about the same problem, as that leads to confusion,....

The ecm controls injector pulse width based on engine load and rpm. Fuel pressure is a fixed value the ecm assumes is constant and has been programmed to control pulse width based on the assumption. Some ecms do measure fuel pressure, unsure if volvo uses a fuel pressure sensor though. My guess would be if it did it may set a fault based on value readings

Based on what you've done thus far i would focus on fuel delivery to the pump. Fuel filter(s), anti siphon valve, fuel tank pickup, and fuel quality. May want to inspect the fuel pressure regulator as well

A vacuum test of the fuel system can tell you a lot, you want to see no more than 4 in/hg. If 4 or more there is a restriction somewhere before the fuel pump
Will try that. Thank you. Need to research how to do a vacuum test.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Need to research how to do a vacuum test.

Pretty easy. Vacuum/pressure guage available through amazon/ebay. Some brass barbs and t fittings, 3/8" fuel line and hose clamps. Install the rig between the fuel tank and fuel filter, run the engine at different rpm and load and observe the guage

I did all that, even used a spare tank. Same issue. When the boat is popping on acceleration, there is a heavy fuel smell likes it's dumping fuel. I don't think the fuel is leaning out properly. I know I started this thread suggesting it was a lean pop, but after researching and trying to diagnose, I now believe the opposite. The fuel pressure is 60psi while the pop is occurring. Another thing, my friend with the same motor, runs at 175 degrees. Mine only runs at 150 and volvo calls for the 150 degree thermostat. The highest I have gotten my motor is 155. Wondering if the operating temp should be higher.

alldodge

Staff member
The fuel pressure is 60psi while the pop is occurring. Another thing, my friend with the same motor, runs at 175 degrees. Mine only runs at 150 and volvo calls for the 150 degree thermostat. The highest I have gotten my motor is 155. Wondering if the operating temp should be higher.
44 to 60 psi is a large swing
Temp will not cause a backfire and should have no issue running cooler

If you have not replaced the distributor cap do that