Rope Starter Eyelet 6/8hp.

cprodave

Petty Officer 1st Class
On my 1985 E6RCOB 6HP this Eyelet p/n 312979 has worn a slot (by previous owners) in what is supposed to be a round eyelet. Diagrams show this as a single part but installed the eyelet appears to be either swaged/flared on the "inward side" or else it's a 2-piece part. I can buy a new Eyelet inexpensively but how do I remove old Eyelet? Or can I possibly cannibalize an eyelet from 2 "parts motors" that I have on-hand . Please advise. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20230103_085748.jpg
    IMG_20230103_085748.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20230103_085830.jpg
    IMG_20230103_085830.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
carefully drill it out or cut it with a dremel tool or small hacksaw blade... from the back side

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
On my 1985 E6RCOB 6HP this Eyelet p/n 312979 has worn a slot (by previous owners) in what is supposed to be a round eyelet. Diagrams show this as a single part but installed the eyelet appears to be either swaged/flared on the "inward side" or else it's a 2-piece part. I can buy a new Eyelet inexpensively but how do I remove old Eyelet? Or can I possibly cannibalize an eyelet from 2 "parts motors" that I have on-hand . Please advise. Thanks.
If you also tend to pull the rope upwards it might be worth fitting the rope guide that is fitted as standard to the Sailmaster and Yachtwin models

1672860388905.png

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Buy new, swedge in place

Consider the rope guide

cprodave

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks to all for clarifying how to remove this eyelet and that the eyelet is in fact swaged into place. How would I swage a new eyelet into position without a special tool?I am thinking a very large C-clamp with a tapered or rounded "mini-anvil" on the inside of the Lower Cover.
Also I did notice that I sometimes (but not always) tend to pull the rope upward. So the Rope Guide has merit. I see the Rope Guide in diagrams for Sailmaster EX: E6RLCDE but it is not clear in the diagram exactly how the Rope Guide is mounted. Anybody got a closeup photo of a mounted Rope Guide?
Thanks again...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??----A short 1/2" stainless bolt.-----Drill a hole and countersink both ends.----Install with a jam nut.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Also I did notice that I sometimes (but not always) tend to pull the rope upward. So the Rope Guide has merit. I see the Rope Guide in diagrams for Sailmaster EX: E6RLCDE but it is not clear in the diagram exactly how the Rope Guide is mounted. Anybody got a closeup photo of a mounted Rope Guide?
Thanks again...
It is just fitted through two small holes either side of the eyelet.
In my Yachtwin they are level with the eyelet but if I was drilling holes for it I would position it slightly lower than it is.

Sorry not sufficiently accessible at the moment to photograph