Walmart Super Tech RV and Marine Antifreeze - ethyl alcohol NOT propylene glycol

ta79pr

Cadet

With all of us experiencing the heavy cold snap, I noticed the product had turned to a "slushy" consistency at about 20 degrees Fahrenheit. From the reviews it seems they changed the recipe in recent years: was propylene glycol, glycerin, corrosion inhibitor - bottles now say water, ethyl alcohol...
Even my jug of winter windshield washer fluid remained completely fluid and didnt turn to a slushy.
Maybe it is a State by State issue having different regulations, but the reviews certainly seem to indicate it perhaps does not afford us all the protection we were expecting, e.g. -50 degrees burst.

Just an FYI and in case anyone else had any comments or thoughts.

paulswagelock

Petty Officer 3rd Class
-50 rv antifreeze freezes in the 12 deg F range. All of them.
Burst protection is more of a marketing gimmick as they don’t follow the same standard. However, -50 burst is for copper pipes, it can burst around -10 in plastic pipes, which is what all rv‘s use.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
With all of us experiencing the heavy cold snap, I noticed the product had turned to a "slushy" consistency at about 20 degrees Fahrenheit. From the reviews it seems they changed the recipe in recent years: was propylene glycol, glycerin, corrosion inhibitor - bottles now say water, ethyl alcohol...
Even my jug of winter windshield washer fluid remained completely fluid and didnt turn to a slushy.
Maybe it is a State by State issue having different regulations,
Guessing it’s an accommodate local regulations based upon the company making 4 different formulations of the same product.
but the reviews certainly seem to indicate it perhaps does not afford us all the protection we were expecting, e.g. -50 degrees burst.
A lot of misunderstanding of anti-freeze performance and what constitutes burst pressure.