Hydraulic Lifter Volvo Penta 4.3 Vortec

Colliemcc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,
I have a Ticking noise coming from the top half of the engine narrowed it now, down to the left side to 2 valves.

When the head or heads are off I am going to be replacing the Hydraulic Lifters.
Volvo Part Nu is 3855811
Mecruiser Part is 8114844 1

I live in Ireland and getting these parts it difficult, I will be ordering a full set of Melling one but could someone please double check for me that these are the correct ones for me before I order.

Melling JB-2079
or
Recommend me better ones if there is.

Thanks for your help
Colm

Colliemcc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Those are the correct lifters. GM has used the same roller lifters in the 4.3 for its entire lifetime. Melling makes good engine parts
Thanks for the reply, I will be ordering them tonight and hope to install next week, I pray that is my problem with the ticking noise I have. Colm

Scott06

Vice Admiral
You don’t need to pull the head to change the lifters would also look at rocker studs valve spring etc on to make sure nothing is out of place that could leave room that lifter can’t adjust out of ….

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Those lifters are very easy to change once the intake is off and the rocker arms & pushrods are removed. Before removing the intake set the engine so that it’s at TDC of the compression stroke of #1 cylinder and remove the distributor cap. Mark the position of the rotor on the distributor body & the position of the distributor body on the intake manifold. That will make re assembly easier. Make sure to not over torque the intake bolts they only get 11 ft lbs if you have a Vortec (8 bolts on the intake).
As far as any mechanical engine parts realize none are made by Volvo Penta or Mercruiser the original parts are all made by General Motors & you can use good quality aftermarket equivalent parts. Dont buy them from VP or Merc, they in effect double the price.

Colliemcc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks very much for the replies, will up date in a few weeks when I have it done. Colm

Colliemcc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just thought Id update this, no one ever seems to.
I replaced all the lifters in my engine last night. Ticking was there for a min but then left and is now ticking over fine so far,

I cant run it for long as I've no water in the shed that the boat is in.
I have to take the intake manifold off again as I used the old intake gaskets as didn't want to use the new ones if I had to take the heads off to take them to the machine shop. Didn't want to waste the the 60pound that I paid for them

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you ran the boat without water, you burned up the impeller doing so.

Colliemcc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
if you ran the boat without water, you burned up the impeller doing so.
If you look at the video in the first 1 or 2 seconds you can see that I had the impeller and house all removed, as I will be installing a new one when I put her all back together.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you look at the video in the first 1 or 2 seconds you can see that I had the impeller and house all removed, as I will be installing a new one when I put her all back together.
I dont watch videos.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
It definitely sounds better than before. Aren’t these engines nice & simple to work on?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I just thought Id update this, no one ever seems to.
I replaced all the lifters in my engine last night. Ticking was there for a min but then left and is now ticking over fine so far,

I cant run it for long as I've no water in the shed that the boat is in.
I have to take the intake manifold off again as I used the old intake gaskets as didn't want to use the new ones if I had to take the heads off to take them to the machine shop. Didn't want to waste the the 60pound that I paid for them

If there are no vacuum leaks on the intake leave it. Not ideal but I've reused them before in a pinch (when doing things twice...) if they are in good shape...

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
If there are no vacuum leaks on the intake leave it. Not ideal but I've reused them before in a pinch (when doing things twice...) if they are in good shape...
No. On a car, you develop a leak of sorts, you pull over and get help. In a boat or airplane, you hope to land or get rescued.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I have spare sets of 4.3 intake gaskets & exhaust gaskets in the garage…