Towboggan watermat nosediving

3putter

Cadet
Curious if any of you have the towboggan watermat from airhead and if it is working properly for you. I bought one of these expensive monsters and it has not been a great experience yet. I am pulling it with a 2 engine open bow that has plenty of power, but the mat just wants to dive under water. Ive tried going slow, going fast, moving weight around but none work. Airhead didnt know what to tell me so they just sent me another $1100. mat, but i suspect it will do the same thing. My tow point is about 2' off the water and i dont have an option to raise it...not sure if thats part of the issue or not.

southkogs

Staff member
I think it sounds like your tow point is too low (I'm guessing you're using the transom eyes). Do you have a booster ball? There are other names for them, but it's a float that attaches to your tow line and keeps it up over the water level. You can give that a whirl perhaps.

briangcc

Commander
Sounds to me a combination of issues.....tow point too low, weight too far forward.

Might try the booster ball as that 2' off the water is probably at rest correct? How far down is that tow point once you hit 20mph? Bet its lower than water level.

Outlw36

Seaman Apprentice
another vote for the booster ball. it's the way I can tow with my bayliner

3putter

Cadet
Sounds to me a combination of issues.....tow point too low, weight too far forward.

Might try the booster ball as that 2' off the water is probably at rest correct? How far down is that tow point once you hit 20mph? Bet its lower than water level.
great idea, not sure why i didnt think of that! you guys are great

3putter

Cadet

yeah, i never thought of the fact that the tow point lowers down when getting on/being on plane. it even wants to do it at fast idle speed unless the kids are all the way at the back. (the thing is 16' long!). going to order the booster and try that out. Awesome to have one more big ass inflatable to deal with on the boat!

briangcc

Commander
Yeah its the simple stuff sometimes. Luckily I'm not at that point just yet as my boys (10, 8, and soon to be 5) won't ride unless I'm just in gear at idle. Anything beyond that and I'm going too fast. I do see a booster in my future once my boys get over this stage :)

Outlw36

Seaman Apprentice
do you actually tow one of these big towboggans?
no I have a couple of the tubes. Without the booster ball, no matter what we tried it would play submarine. My daughter wasn't impressed. 2 different tubes and same results.one tube was new, the other was from the 90's and used to pull with a 1964 Silverline with a 35hp Evinrude. Tow points were higher on it . The Bayliner just couldn't keep the tow rope high enough. I researched online and the booster ball was the solution that worked.

3putter

Cadet
no I have a couple of the tubes. Without the booster ball, no matter what we tried it would play submarine. My daughter wasn't impressed. 2 different tubes and same results.one tube was new, the other was from the 90's and used to pull with a 1964 Silverline with a 35hp Evinrude. Tow points were higher on it . The Bayliner just couldn't keep the tow rope high enough. I researched online and the booster ball was the solution that worked.
cool. mine arrives tomorrow and will be testing this weekend.

vwrestler171

Recruit
What ball does everyone recommend? I am seeing the Sportsstuff Booster, the Airhead Orb, and the O'Brien Shock Ball.

briangcc

Commander
For me, it'll be whatever is on sale at the time I need it. I'm still a long ways off yet from that.